Friday, May 30, 2008

a mother's pride and joy


This week has been a whirl-wind of activity with graduation activities...yes, you heard right. Graduation. Who is graduating, you might ask? Well, Joelle of course!!


The week started off with a Teddy Bear picnic for her last pre-school class. I guess that wasn't anything extra or unusual (is that how you spell that word? for some reason it looks odd to me...), but it was a special activity to end off the school year.


Wednesday held the Summer Fun Day of 2008 for all of the pre-schoolers and their families (whoever could make it during the day, that is). This big event held face-painting, a small petting zoo, bouncers, pony rides and a hot dog lunch. It was a busy morning -- I'm glad I left Malia at a friends' place...thanks again Pam! -- but it was a g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s day (although I did get a sunburn!).


Then on Thursday was the B-I-G day. Graduation Day for my sweet little Joelle. There was a slight set-back as she saw me while walking in with her class and she started running up t me, crying. I ended up having to walk her onto the stage, but after that it was all smiles and waves as she proudly stood up at the front and sang the programmed songs with gusto! I was so amazingly proud of my first-born daughter.


(The top left picture in the collage below is Joelle with her best friend -- and next-door-neighbour -- Emily...aren't they sweet?)


Here is Joelle with her two pre-school teachers. These ladies are fantastic with the kids, and Joelle just adores them! I hope her kindergarden teacher is just as wonderful!

And just so you can see Joelle singing with gusto -- here's a short video. It's hard to understand all the words since there were 80+ three and four year olds up on stage singing at different tempos and in different keys (gotta love it!). But it's a "Good-bye" song that they sang at the end of every pre-school class. How sweet!! (By the way...have I mentioned how proud I am of this girl?)


video


But the week didn't end there! This morning was Joelle's kindergarden pre-screening appointment where she attended different stations -- such as speech, general knowledge, etc -- for the school to sort of get an idea of where she was at with her knowledge and abilities. She did wonderfully and I was so proud of her...hmmm...do you sense a theme here with the pride factor?? I still find it hard to believe, though, that in 3 short months I will actually be the mother of a kindergardener.

Other than these graduation activities, the week also consisted of me teaching my last piano lesson of the year, soccer for Joelle, and hosting both sets of grandparents for supper before the grad ceremony. So needless to say, I'm e-x-h-a-u-s-t-e-d. But I am proud to report that even amidst all of life's chaos this week, I still managed to get up early every day this week -- other than my Tuesday work day -- to excercise. Yay for me!! (I guess Joelle isn't the only one I'm proud of this week!)

18 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Oooo, they're so cute in their little hats! Congratulations, Jo!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Sounds like a full week all right! Good for you on still exercising through it. Though it's hard to imagine, that's actually probably what gave you the energy to get through the week!

Adorable pictures!

Margo said...

Awww - thanks for sharing your memories of this special day (and week) with us! It makes me wish we were back at that stage. I clearly remember Adam's pre-school days (he's the only one we sent to ps), and now Adam is TEACHING gym classes at various schools as a summer job. CRAZY!! No doubt Joelle knows full well just how proud you are of her and is basking in your love and affirmation. You're such a good mommy!!

AND - WAY TO GO for sticking with your committment to exercise! Keep at it and pretty soon you'll hate when you have to miss a day.

Please tell Joelle congratulations from Auntie Margo!

andrea said...

wow! Your first graduation. pony rides, face painting, singing in front of proud parents and grandparents...this was such a fun and special week for Joelle. I liked your collage...She is very photogenic. And be proud. proud of her and of you! You are a wonderful mother and a great example for her to follow! much love.

Pam said...

That is so wonderful! What a great moment for her (and you!). It looks like a FUN week. And - wow to you! All that going on and you still exercised. Good for you!

Roo said...

BEAUTIFUL!! your babies are so sweet! how do they grow sooo fast, heh?

PamJ said...

that is so great you had an awesome week :) I didn't even notice you had a burn!?! kindergarten is coming pretty fast! before you know it, you will have TWO in school... wow

Melanie said...

You know what's funny? I remember crying when you posted about Joelle's first day at preschool. And now she is graduating? Where has the time gone?

Gin said...

I get so choked up when I see my little friends take these huge steps in their lives. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Daphne said...

How cute!! They grow up way too fast, my oldest just graduated Kindergarten!!!
She's beautiful [both your girls are =)]

p.s. What did they use to paint their faces??

Erin said...

i remember my pre-school grad, barely. but i remember this awesome strawberry dress. i loved it. all pics are so good. and good for u 4 keeping ur motiviation up thru all the chaos. i? would have crumbled. that my thing, no will power. go u!!

Jenn said...

It was a really great week. Joelle (and Emily) did so well with having so many different things going on this week. I love your recap!

Xandra said...

Awww...she looks so cute! You have every right to be proud of her...

Xandra

Heather said...

Congrats, Joelle! Doesn't she look grown up? Oops, maybe I shouldn't say that since you're worried about being the mother of a kindergartner!

Carl & Kathy said...

My heart is just bursting as you talk about being so proud of Joelle. Can't believe how big she is getting. I remember that bald cute little baby and now look at her. Well, get some rest after your crazy week!

Kelly said...

How exciting! I can't believe that Lyndsy starts preschool this year! OMG it just hit me that that is coming!

Betty said...

You know what made me proud of YOU Andrea? The fact that you walked with Joelle up to the stage when she was crying. You weren't embarrassed, or showed frustration with her or were angry. You lovingly walked WITH her and that was the confidence that she needed right at that time. You were there for her no matter what. I wish I could do some things over again, but I can't. And when I see and hear of the way you handle your children with such love and patience, well...it does my heart good!!
Way to go Joelle!!

Joanna said...

Aww - so cute! Congrats to your girls.