Wednesday, May 7, 2008

a reunion gone bad...and then even worse

(Hey, Tara and Erin...look who came looking for their long-lost cousin...)

Last summer when I was coming out of my house to join my neighbours outside one lovely morning, I saw a creature who looked a lot like the one pictured below (let me warn you now -- it's not for the squeamish!).

Of course I freaked out, and immediately called for Erin and Tara to come to my rescue. Tara -- being as brave as she is -- took a brick and dropped it on said creature, who then started to excrete a gross green substance looking sort of like gum (I shudder just at the memory of it all!). She then took our water hose and washed the remains off of our driveway and onto the street.

Problem solved. And we never saw another one of those hideous-looking creatures again.

Until today...

I was once again outside with some neighbours -- different ones -- when Malia was pointing at something and saying, "Spider! Spider!" She wasn't afraid, just pointing out what she was seeing.

What she was looking at wasn't in my line of vision, and since I'm not one to be too concerned over a spider -- especially one that is outside where it belongs -- I didn't even think twice. In fact, the thought running through my head was, Ah...it's probably nothing; it's probably just a piece of dirt or something that she's imagining is a spider.

Well, it turns out both Malia and I were wrong. It wasn't a piece of dirt, and it wasn't a spider. For only moments later, Malia pointed to the 'spider' and said "Mama, look!"

So I did.

Behold -- another hideous creature had made its appearance and decided to crash our neighborhood party. Likely looking for his long-lost cousin. They probably had agreed to meet up this spring and catch up on old times. However, upon his arrival, cousin #2 realized that something tragic must've happened to cousin #1. For he was nowhere to be found.

Not a very pleasant reunion.

Upon trying to return home to his family and share the bad news with the other relatives -- and likely to plan the memorial service -- cousin #2 also met his demise as a large shadow began to get closer and closer until...

A big boot squished cousin #2 (thanks to Jenn's dad who just happened to be visiting this week; good thing, since Brave Tara wasn't around to help this time!).

The reunion gone bad just turned even worse. At least for the unwelcome visitors. For us, it had a happy ending!

(Okay, just to give you a bit of an idea how h-u-g-e this creature actually is -- it's not just a little beatle or anything...see the little rock in the top left hand corner of the picture? A house spider would be about the size of that rock. This disgusting thing is more like the size of a mouse!)

21 comments:

Roo said...

w-o-w! you should really consider a move to the north end of town. i don't think we have any of those beauties over here. ;)

Xandra said...

And to think that I was grossed out this morning when Gracie picked up a dead cockroach...LOL!

Xandra

Louise said...

THAT IS DISGUSTING!!!!!!! I can't believe we have those things here, I am sure it snuck home in someones suitcase from a winter vacation!! ICK

Margo said...

You really should have picked it up and held it in your hand to give us proper perspective of just how big it actually was:p

I agree, it really does look very disgusting. I hope the rest of the family is wise enough to stay home.

Kelly said...

I need to send my daughter Lyndsy your way. The other day our neighbor girl found a snail and was all excited. She wanted to keep it in her aquarium/tank thing. My daughter without missing a beat said "I'll get it" and SQUISH... no more snail. Oh well, at least she won't have to call her husband everytime she sees a bug. They're never around anyway.

ValleyGirl said...

What? No fingers in the shot for a scale reference?! Gross. Are those what they call Junebugs? I've seen such creatures a couple of times while living in the city, but so far, nothing like that out here! Just woodticks, haha.

Erin said...

Seriously shuddering at the memory! Remember how it wouldn't wash all the way down the driveway and just kept sticking there and the hose wasn't long enough to get it all the way down? Ick! Glad to see you had someone else brave enough to rid you of the pestilence!

Erin said...

eww that makes my skin crawl just thinking about it!

Daphne said...

oh nasty! I hope you don't have any more of those uninvited creatures!

andrea said...

that is a huge, yucky bug. happy to know that you are all well, safe and sound after such an ordeal. I remember driving from camping last year (after seeing my first snake)on narrow road, and this creature much the size of this cousin, started climing up my leg and Kris was trying to stay on the road and save his terrified wife from harm. I couldn't scream because the baby just fell asleep and i coulldn't scare the kids. my heart is racing just thinking about it. you are so brave just to have seen it.

Jody said...

Okay Seriously!!! Did you ever find out what it actually was? My curiosity is killing me! Big yucky thing isn't doing it for me. I want to know WHAT THE HECK THAT IS!!! (and if if can travel south to my place...)

Pam said...

I hate bugs. Period.

Tara said...

Sorry I was not there to meet the cousin! Actually I am kind of glad, that thing was so gross and BIG. I remember the green looking bubble gum oh so well!

Carl & Kathy said...

That is the scariest bug I have ever seen. And I thought they lived in tropical places. I'm moving WAAAYYY north where those things don't live, like past Churchill.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Totally gross. As big as a mouse?! There better not be any more cousins lurking around just northeast of you - shudder!

common mom said...

I was OK with it until I realized how HUGE it is - was (RIP in big ass bug!).

Ewwwww!!!

Sharon Brumfield said...

That is disgusting!
How horrible.....we have a creature that give me the creeps. They are huge black things that have wings that are red and yellow. They are kind of like a grashopper...only they look just plain ev*l. The only problem is that when they come out...they are all over the place. You could try and take one or two out....but there are more.
The good thing....they don't come in the house!

MamaGeek said...

OH MY. I'm actually squirming in my CHAIR!

Joanna said...

(Screaming) Kill it, kill it!! Yuck! Can't stand bugs of any type.

Pamela said...

*shudder* yuck!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know the Junebug is a magestic creature and I'll be reporting you to Mb fish and Game.

JG