Sunday, June 22, 2008

i think she has selective hearing

Yesterday we spent a wonderful afternoon/evening at our local kiddie amusement park for my niece's birthay. The kids had a f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s time going on all of the rides, and I thoroughly enjoyed the bumper cars.

The one ride I was d.r.e.a.d.i.n.g. going on was the ferris wheel. But -- that just happens to be Joelle's most favorite ride.

Last year I got away with not going on at all, since my sister and brother-in-law each took turns riding with Joelle (and Les only took Malia once; she was NOT a fan).

But this year, both girls wanted to go on -- and after Joelle went once with my sister, and Malia went once with Les, they both wanted to go again and Les said that it was my turn (he's not a huge fan of the giant wheel either).

So as I was standing in the very short line with the girls -- my stomach all in knots -- I kept saying things like, "Oh...I don't know about this!" and "Les, I don't want to do this!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right as we were walking on to the platform to board the Giant Wheel, Joelle very matter-of-factly says to me, "Mom -- sometimes you just have to try something new and then you find out that you really like it."

Huh. Where have I heard that before? It seems like something a mother would say to her children about trying new things they may be hesitatant about.

Wait a minute...I am one of those mothers and Joelle is one of those children. Isn't that convenient that out of everything she somehow 'forgets' or 'didn't hear' -- that one particular comment is one of the ones she remembers and throws back in my face!

Well played, my child. Well played.

As it turns out, I ended up really enjoying the ride (even though this picture shows just how nervous I was at the beginning). And believe it or not -- I went on it a second time by choice!

Go figure!

13 comments:

wfbdoglover said...

YAY for you. Looks like you had a great time.

Erin said...

they do have a way of making us face r fears don't they? i hate thunderstorms but am trying to not instill that fear into my son.

andrea said...

that's awesome! wow...can we learn from our kids...scary,really!!! awesome to see you having so much fun...

ValleyGirl said...

Hey, hey, before you know it, you'll be going for an airplane ride!! Look at you, conquering your fears one step at a time! Good for you.

Kellan said...

What a great post - great story and fabulous picture!!

Have a good Monday - see you soon - Kellan

Pam said...

don't they always just find the words to throw back at us....geez! Although, you totally explained my child there too! I am glad you had a good time and liked it after all. By the way- you look gorgeous!!

common mom said...

I don't know why either, but I am not a fan of the giant wheel! And the one we went on all the time was like a gondola type box car, but smaller with open sides . . . but it went REALLY high! I think my fear comes from my brother trying to rock the car as much as possible when we were stuck at the top ;-)

Good for you for going!!!

Heather said...

I am finding that I learn all kinds of life lessons from my little one, and she isn't even talking yet!

Good for you for taking her advice!

Roo said...

i DO NOT like the ferris wheel either.
and brian -- who loves all manner of scary rides -- doesn't like them either. :) i went on one once with my brother and he proceeded to terroize me the entire ride by rocking the seat back and forth. there was nothing to hold me in! it was horrible!

Louise said...

That is awesome!
Way to go! Too cute for her saying that...love how they learn!!

Leeann said...

"someone" is raising that child to be quite smart!

Kelly said...

You are raising two beautiful and caring daughters! Hopefully you can sneak some more monderful advice passed their selective hearing. Try "mothers are always right" see how that one goes over. lol

Carl & Kathy said...

Good for you! I'm a bit of a chicken, but I was SO glad that I did the roller coaster with Joel and Kezia. It was surprisingly a good time.