Friday, June 6, 2008

malia's identical twin

(By the way...the answer to who was hanging out in our backyard earlier this week was, indeed a bat. Who knew they were so furry? Ugh!)


Yesterday was swimming lessons for the girls. After the lesson, as I was wrapping Joelle's towel around her...I heard it.

A child -- not even 3 years old, I'm sure -- throwing a hissy fit. Cute as a button, but WOW did she have a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e.

I looked at my sister (who also brings her daughter to lessons at the same time as we do) and muttered out of the side of my mouth, "Sheesh...I wonder whose kid that is!"

She chuckled at me, and I joined in with her. Sure, we laughed -- but I was feeling some sympathy for the poor dad who was having to deal with this loud public outburst by his obviously strong-willed, feisty little girl. I saw him pick up his daughter and start to carry her wiggling body towards the changing rooms.

Huh, I thought. She looks somewhat like my own almost 3-year-old daughter.

In fact -- as I looked again at this beautiful brown-haired little beauty, I saw a striking resemblance to my own strong-willed, feisty little brown-haired beauty. So striking that I did a double-take.

Wait -- is that...??...Nah. Couldn't be! My toddler wouldn't be making that sort of scene.

Besides, they do say that everybody has a twin out there somewhere...right?

Hmmm...I shrugged it off and carried on with taking Joelle to get changed. As I was walking away from the scene, I found myself wondering how Les was doing with Malia. Hopefully he was having better luck....

(Okay -- so be honest. How many of you knew it was Malia who was the one causing the scene, and how many of you were fooled into thinking it really was somebody else's strong-willed, feisty, brown-haired beauty I was writing about? Hee hee...)

8 comments:

andrea said...

cute post...yes, thankfully, it's not just us that must deal with those precious blessings from above...that have a mind of their own...
i'd love to meet my twin...i think..

Pam said...

I know it sounds terrible- but I am always a bit glad when I see someone else struggle with their child. That means it can't just be me who is inept at taking care of children. There is comfort in numbers ;)

Kellan said...

What a cute post/story! I've been there - wait a minutes - I'm still there and mine is 6 - ugh!

Have a good Sunday - Kellan

Carl & Kathy said...

Okay, I wasn't thinking it was Malia at all! Yeah, I feel for the parent of THAT kid until I go home and deal with something even worse. Ahhhh....who said parenting was uneventful obviously didn't have any kids.

andrea said...

okay...you are very funny!
BTW, can we get togehter soon?

Roo said...

:)

Leeann said...

I LOVE when I really do hear someone else having issues with their kid. I give them a "hey, I get it" smile and think to myself...glad it's not just mine that do that!

Joanna said...

Yes, we've had that. I was in one row at a store with Thing2 and Dad was in another row with Thing1 who was having a hissy fit worthy of awards. Some lady next to me made a comment about kids and I just nodded my head until they came around the corner and I got busted. Kind of hard to disown your child especially if you have his twin in your cart. :)