Sunday, June 8, 2008

a touch of class

We have lived in our house for almost 2 1/2 years, and only now am I f-i-n-a-l-l-y starting to put the finishing touches on some house decor.

I love my living room furniture (dark brown leather) and my curtains (a rusty red), but other than that, there wasn't any real decor going on to complement these things.

Until recently.

With our tax return that we got in spring, we decided to allot a certain amount of money for me to go and buy some things for the house -- which translates into mostly the living room, of course (and as a bonus, I have managed to find most things for a vey good price...I love a good deal!).

I love the finished look of my 'new' living room (I am still looking for a couple more things, but it is mostly complete) and it's finally time to reveal some pictures of my accessories.

This collage below shows what is gracing one of my end tables. This whole 'look' only cost me about $15 bucks!

Next is the two sets of box-shelf-thingies (can someone please tell me what better name I can give them?). Both sets together cost me $25.00, and some accessories were already mine and others I picked up for probably a total of $6 bucks.



Thirdly...we have the combination of 'goodies' that makes up my display on my second end table. The candle was already mine, but I bought the tray and stones for about $10 bucks.

Below is a shot of my beautiful rusty red curtains. Les actually picked them out! We had gone curtain shopping with my very house-decor-wise friend Jackie when we first moved in so she could help give us some advice. But it was Les who shone through in a moment of brilliance when he randomly picked up a package of curtains that were on sale and tossed them in my direction. It turns out, they were the best ones in the store, and we have gotten many a compliment on them.

Anyway...so I went back to the store where we bought the curtains over 2 years ago and I ended up finding matching cushions! I only started off with 2 to see if I liked them, so I'm needing to go back and get a couple more. But the two that I bought were $17 bucks.

The vase and 'sticks' that are on the side are what you will see when you walk into my house. We have a triangle ledge at the bottom of our staircase going upstairs. This spot used to accumulate a lot of JUNK, but now that I have something pretty to go in this corner, I have been doing really well at keeping it free of anything other than this. Yay, me! Total cost: $20 bucks!

So that is a little tour of my new and improved living room. I am really loving it. Of course you don't get the full effect from these separate pictures -- but if I took a picture of the whole room, then I'd have to clean it first!!

20 comments:

amy said...

come to my house please! You have rocking taste!

Leeann said...

I'm just picturing my son carrying the rocks around. Or eating them.

Heather said...

I'm glad that my current excuse for not decorating is having a one year old. But to be honest, I didn't have anything "decorated" before she was born. So I guess that's just not gonna happen anytime soon!

Loved the collages!

Margo said...

Very nice! I'd like to see your house sometime. As far as the box/shelf type things, I guess it's similar to the shadow box framing I do sometimes. Not sure if you could accurately call them shadow boxes, but if nobody comes up with something better, I think that would be close.

Pam said...

I was looking at those and wondering how I could ever dig all those stones out of Riley's mouth ;) or stop the kids from hitting each other with the sticks ;)

It looks great! You did a fabulous job!

Louise said...

Looks great! Way to go!!

Jenn said...

I like the collages you did up. Nice photography skills! It was so much fun shopping for your house decor, spending other people's money is always lots of fun!! I'm glad you love your new look. I think it's great too.

ValleyGirl said...

That looks beautiful, Andrea! Great job!!!! I can't believe you managed to find cushions that match your drapes two years after the fact ~ how unbelievably lucky! They look great. As do the little box-shelf-thingies. Yeah, I can't think of a better word either.

Tara said...

Your "new" livingroom looks great, I can't wait to see it in person! And I believe those box thingies are called shadow boxes if they are what I think they are. Great job!

Cindy said...

I agree with Margo and Tara - I believe those thingy's are called "floating shadow box shelves"...let's go with that - sounds fancy!...great job Andrea on the accessories!...it's even better when the price is right!...I'm 'thrifty' like you!...is there a puck light in your triangle display shelf?...wouldn't it look yummy if you painted the inside of the triangle shelf area rusty red like your curtains?...it would be so warm with the brown vases and 'sticks'...and the spot light on in the evening would be so inviting...uh, oh - if there's not a light, have I just created a 'project' for Les??

andrea said...

i love the fact that you can enjoy the next stage of your life and celebrate with pretty things...i have a ways to go!it looks very inviting!

Xandra said...

Everything looks great! I need you to come to my house and help me out!

Xandra

Melanie said...

Beautiful! And of course, you had to wait for 2 1/2 years- you needed to wait until both girls were old enough to keep all of those beautiful decorations out of their hands and mouths!

Melanie said...

I forgot to tell you- I've got an award for you right here:
http://www.livinwithme.com/2008/06/meme-monday-18/

Joanna said...

Very chic! Love all the touches! I still need to do that.

betty said...

Love your decor Andrea...I suggest next family gathering be at YOUR place so we can all see it :):) no??? haha

common mom said...

Love love love the box frames . . . my friend made some for her house and I LOVE them . . . I need to get some :-) But then I'd have to use them . . . and I'm totally decorating-ly challenged ;-)

Excellent job on the deals! Please come fix up my house . . .

Joanna said...

Hey I left something for ya on my blog.

Rebecca said...

Looks great! I now have a blank wall and was looking at floating shelves/ledges or cubes (the boxes hanging on your wall). I love the pottery/vase that is in one of them and your vase of 'sticks' is great! Looks like you got some great deals too.

Amanda said...

Looks good. I really like the vase in the corner with the sticks.