Saturday, July 26, 2008

from elephants to doves

Recently I made a new friend. Well, to be more accurate -- I recently had an acquaintance of nearly a decade turn into a friend. Wanna know how?

By kicking the ever-present elephant to the curb!

Yup. For the past 8 years, there has been an elephant in the room anytime said acquaintance and I were together. We both knew it was there -- afterall, it's pretty hard to not see an elephant when it's standing right in front of you!

So how exactly did I accomplish this figurative task of giving this large mouse-fearing animal the ol' heave-ho?

I verbally acknowledged that it was there. I swallowed my pride. I admitted to myself that I had been unfair. I put aside my anxieties and I followed through with the nudgings from God that I was getting. And -- here's the kicker -- I apologized for my part...my h-u-g-e part...in inviting the elephant into the room in the first place.

This apology was g-r-a-c-i-o-u-s-l-y accepted and returned. Soon after, this then turned into an open conversation between the two burdened owners of the rather heavy beast, that was filled with honesty and respect as the past was not forgotten, but was forgiven.

As it turns out, elephants don't like forgiveness -- for our constant companion of the past 8 years promptly turned around, tucked his tail between his legs, made a harrumpf! of disappointment and stomped out the door. Just like that.

Phew! It's not easy being the keeper of an elephant. You know what's a lot easier to take care of?

A dove.
Dove

16 comments:

Pam said...

Good for you! It isn't easy to be the forgiver....I'm proud of you for taking that step and being the one to make the first move. You encourage me to be a better person every time I read your blog!

andrea said...

get rid of the elephant! so proud of you.enjoy the peace that a Dove brings

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Andrea, you have such a beautiful way of sharing without sharing details. I love that!

At least dove poop is easier to clean up than elephant poop!

Louise said...

That is awesome!! Good for you! Glad to hear that the elephant has left the building!!
Have a great day!

Dawn said...

I have a situation similar to this for years, and it was such a blessing when we resolved it - she is now a very good friend.

Can you send me your e-mail address to my e-mail on my sidebar. I want to send you something that I think you'd like to have. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Wow sounds like you got a huge weight off your chest. I bet it feels great!

mama said...

that's wonderful!! A burden lifted!

Jen said...

How great to sweep that all under the rug!

Roo said...

beautiful.

Kellan said...

WOW - what a great post, Andrea! I'm so glad that elephant was booted out and good for you!!

Take care - Kellan

common mom said...

Good for you! You should be way proud of yourself . . . it's so NOOOTTT easy to be the one to make the move . . . especially after so long.

Your friends and family are very lucky to have a wonderful person like you in their lives.

TammyIsBlessed said...

That's awesome!!! I'm proud of you.

Joanna said...

Glad to hear you de-elephant.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

It's amazing how good it feels when we finally kick the elephant to the curb!! Makes you sort of wonder why ya didn't do it sooner! LOL!

I've been through this exact thing, and I am praising God that you took the first step towards mending this relationship...

Xandra

melanie said...

Wow- that's great! It's really hard to take that first step but it's usually worth it once we do.

ValleyGirl said...

I love the poop comment ~ too funny!

Good for you, Andrea. I'm guessing this has been a huge relief to both of you.