Wednesday, July 9, 2008

in the eye of the beholder

I know it might be hard to tell from this angle, but what you are looking at in this picture is nothing other than a spider.

That's right. You read correctly -- a spider.

You know...the arachnid that has eight legs, an ugly body and crawls around on any type of surface it can find (including humans).

Still don't believe me? Well, okay...at least that's what Joelle calls it -- and any other tower she happens to see on the side of the road.

(You can't really see the wires in this picture -- also known as the spider's legs -- coming from the tower down to the ground...but they're there.)

Ever since Joelle could talk -- and she was an early talker, starting before she turned one -- she has called these towers spiders. And she still does to this day.

This particular 'spider' is her most favorite one. Everytime we drive past it (which is pretty often) she will point to it and say with excitement, "Hey! There's my favorite spider!" or "Hi spider!" or "See you next time spider!"

Malia has even gotten in on this spider action -- although just the other day she mistakenly called it a ladybug, which Joelle was very quick to correct (I'm not quite sure just what Malia was thinking...afterall, it's clearly not a ladybug).

As far as I'm concerned, they can call them whatever they want. I'm just glad that there are no r-e-a-l spiders that size!

12 comments:

andrea said...

well, isn't that so cute.and Malia...a ladybug?...simply adorable...i can totally see those as spiders, in fact, each time I passed them as a child, I thought they looked neat.

Pam said...

Cute story! But for a minute, I was worried you lived near freakish, mutant crazy sized spiders. I could never come visit you if you have spiders that size there....but lucky for us - you don't! So I can visit one day!

wfbdoglover said...

just darling!

Erin said...

that is funny. i actually stared at the screen for a few seconds trying to find the spider. then i read more!

Kellan said...

How cute - it does look like a spider.

Take care - Kellan

Jen said...

That's funny! I hope you had a good trip :)

amy said...

I was afraid this was going to be about a really really BIG spider.

I feel better now!

Kelly said...

I was straining to see that picture so hard trying to find the little spider in the picture somewhere. You are too funny!

MamaGeek said...

Hey I like the new blog redesign. Very niiiiiiice.

And that spider? THAT is brilliant wrapped ALL UP in cuteness alright.

Roo said...

hey! hope you are having a great week with your family....how'd the camping go? find any tornados? ;)

candypb said...

That is way too funny. You had me looking for that spider for a while. I love childrens imagenation.
By the way, I'm Candy, Louise's sis-in-law. I found you through her.

Leeann said...

LOL. I was reading the post....looking at the picture....reading the post...looking at the picture...huh? spider? wha?
Gotcha.