Thursday, July 3, 2008

our love fern: a tribute

In May I wrote about a special hanging basket that my neighbour presented to me as a thank you gift. To refresh your memory -- you know, in case you're too lazy busy to click on the link above -- here is what it looked like:

Beautiful, right? And yes...I say 'looked' like, as in past tense. As in it sure don't look like that no more! No...now -- instead of it looking pretty and pink and alive -- it looks like this:

Ugly, greenish-brown and dead! (**insert sheepish grin here**)

Now, in my defense...I have never claimed to have a green thumb by any means. In fact, I have one of the most un-green thumbs that there are. And Jenn was very much aware of this fact when she chose to grace my front porch with this used-to-be beautiful basket.

Not that any of this is her fault; I claim full responsibility for letting our love fern die. Well, okay maybe I am passing blame just a wee little bit.

Afterall -- what was she thinking??? (you know...besides trying to be a great friend blessing me with a pretty plant to improve the aesthetics of my front porch and making my day in the process, all that on top of being one of the most wonderful people that I have ever known...but other than that -- what was she thinking??)

She has already admitted that perhaps it was a mistake, and that next time she will maybe choose to thank me with chocolates or something that I can't kill. That way I won't have to face the disappointment in her eyes when she looks at me and says:

"(gasp) Our love fern! You let it d-i-e!!!"

12 comments:

PamJ said...

i am NOT lazy! hahaha but i did not click the link either because i actually remembered the post :)
water is all it needed i'm sure! i have been given about 4 plants since moving into the house (quite possibly more) and ONE is alive! and it is SO pretty that i make sure to water it... but i am like you and have 'black' thumbs lol

wfbdoglover said...

Yes Yes Water! You can still save it. Cut back any dead spots and soak it with water and water it ever day if it is in a really sunny spot. You can safe it!! Then a cup or two of water daily. No kidding!

andrea said...

ditto the above comment. cut it, soak it and weekly add miracle grow and it'll be stunning in 3 weeks ...i promise...it's not dead...great post. i love that quote!

Jenn said...

Ha! You're too funny. :)

Margo said...

One more thing we have in common ~ lack of any green fingers. Actually, I did pretty good when I was a "country woman", but since moving to town I haven't mowed our lawn once (when I used to mow for hours every week) and Arn has planted and cared for the few flowers that get planted only because we have a built-in planter in front of the house. In my defense, our yard has too much shade to be condusive to anything growing. Good luck with resurrecting your love fern!

Carl & Kathy said...

You can bake amazing desserts, you can sing amazingly, you have great humour, okay, so you're not a green thumb. I'd say, follow the advice of the above gardeners, but if she refuses to green up, send her to fern heaven! Can you tell I'm an impatient gardener?

pam d said...

Love the "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" reference! I too lack the green thumb - at least when it comes to indoor plants. Hilary & Sheldon brought us a Gerbera daisy plant when Annika was born, and it died before it could get planted in our flower bed. However, the baby is still alive & thriving, so that's what counts, right?

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, I felt kinda the same way when hubby came home with two potted plants for me as Mothers Day gifts. One of which is dead. Because I couldn't control the aphids. The other one still looks okay though. Probably because HE waters it fairly regularly!!

Erin said...

they look like something from my (a-hem) garden!! i too do not have a green thumb :) but...it might not be ur fault! did u say "thank U" for the flowers?!?! if u did, it is not ur fault then. my mom always told me it is bad luck for the flowers/plants if u thank someone for them! so u might be safe.

Kelly said...

Oh killing one plant still keeps you far away from stealing my "black thumb" award from me. At least you kept it alive for a little while. Consider it an accomplishment! lol

Mamarazzi said...

DANG!! and you had pink garden gloves and everything!

i am no green thumb so i would toss it, but it looks like you got words of ecouragement from your other friends so maybe it REALLY can be saved!

good luck...

and ummm...i tagged you...so PLAY!!

Jenn said...

It will definitely be chocolate next time. Or Pepsi!