Wednesday, July 16, 2008

summer holidays: part I

You have all been patiently waiting for holiday details and pictures -- so here they come.

The beginning of our holidays started off with a 2 night camping trip with Les' parents and one sister. Now, even though I have a very strong dislike for camping, this was probably my favorite camping weekend to date (and not because of the rest of the family that was missing...in fact, that would've been the one thing that could've made it even better).

But rather, it was because the conditions were all in my favour. First of all, it was a cloudy, cool weekend. Not cold, but not scorching hot like it had been lately. In fact, I was in pants and a sweater all weekend.

Secondly, there were next to no mosquitos. Seriously! I think I had maybe 2 buzz by my ear sitting around the fire at nights, but that's it! There were a few dozen too many fish flies -- but no mosquitos!!

The third factor which made things a lot more comfortable for me was that I didn't have to sleep in a tent!! Les' aunt & uncle have their big camper parked in the site right next to his parents, and they weren't using it while we were there, so I had permission to sleep in it (along with Les' sister). Which means -- I had a comfortable bed, a flushing toilet within 5 steps of my bed, AND I didn't have to worry about the girls during the night. Although the girls were hardly any trouble either night. They were so excited to sleep in the tent...in fact, they were so excited the first night that they were asking to go to bed!! That is unheard of!!

How could I not enjoy a camping trip like that?






Despite the cooler weather (and off-again-on-again rain), and no cousins to play together with the girls, we all managed to find things to do.

There was fishing to do, movies to watch, books to read, meals to enjoy, fires to sit beside....

It was an incredibly relaxing few days









And I was once again proud (and impressed) of Joelle's creativity and imagination, for even when a lot of kids would've been bored with not much to do out there with the weather conditions, Joelle kept herself -- and anybody else who would participate with her -- very occupied by running a store.

This was surely the highlight of her weekend, as she c-o-n-t-i-n-u-a-l-l-y begged for people to come shop at her store. She would slide open the window to take our order, and then pass us the items before closing up shop again. Over. And over. And over again.

If someone would've played with her the entire time, I'm sure that's all she would've needed to do!

And then before we knew it, it was time to pack up and head home. I was surprised at how quickly the time passed and how much I genuinely enjoyed my time doing something I generally strongly dislike. But now came the part that I knew I would not genuinely enjoy...

Laundry, unpacking and re-packing for summer holidays: Part II. Stay tuned...

14 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. And I'm happy to see Les is wearing a life jacket!

ValleyGirl said...

Glad you had a good time! Sorry we couldn't be there!!

Louise said...

That sounds like a great time!

So funny I was camping last week and a friend of mine who has a camper like that her 3 year old daughter always opened up that window thingy and asked her mom if she wanted a double double...I guess some of us moms use the take out window somewhat frequently...LOL! your girlie is too cute!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I could use some of that cool weather down here! Glad you had a wonderful trip...

Xandra

wfbdoglover said...

It looks like you had so much fun I would want to go - if I could sleep with you and your sister in the trailer!!

Thanks for sharing!

Carl & Kathy said...

I'm so glad that things were orchestrated so that you could really enjoy yourself. Now maybe you won't turn into a hard core camper, but I'm proud of you. And Joelle, what a keeper!

andrea said...

your idea of camping and what actually happened were very close. cute that your girls were able to entertain themselves without the cousins. and few bugs too! now that is awesome...

Jen said...

Oh! I'm so glad to come back and see that you had an enjoyable time! Your daughter playing "store" cracked me up :) I love how creative kids are.

Roo said...

ohhhhh such fun! i'm a little jealous. :) no camping for me this year. can you imagine? i can't.

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I agree though, I hate the unpacking and laundry thing!

Erin said...

that sounds like my kind of camping!!

MamaGeek said...

What an absolute blast. That makes me want to camp for ONE night! :)

common mom said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! We all LOVE camping . . . I grew up living in a camper all summer long as a kid . . . love love LOVE it!!! We tent-camped with the kids for one year, then bought an old pop-up that we love love LOVE! Did I mention that we love camping?

It's such great family time and, as you said, watching the kids find ways to enterain themselves without any "toys" is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Joelle's store is so cute. Olivia does the same thing with Kerby & Aleshia's camper on their yard!
jackie