Wednesday, August 27, 2008

i think i watch too much CSI:

This afternoon Les took the girls in to The City to take our boat for a spin on the river. Since I was already in The City at work, it was decided that I would meet them at the boat launch around 5:30 and then we would all go out for supper.

When I got there, I drove our van right down to the launch and waited for them to come back from their boating excursion. As I looked to the left of me, I saw something that made me slightly nervous.

Two guys (probably in their mid-late twenties) sitting in an old white beater. It looked slightly suspicious to me, since they were parked in an area where vehicles with boat trailers would park while their boats are in the water. It was a more secluded area and there were no other vehicles there (as there is a larger parking lot farther up the hill where most people actually do park), and they certainly weren't there loading up a boat.

They were just sitting there. Thankfully they at least were parked so they were facing away from me, and not looking directly at me.

But I kind of got the creeps. It was just them and me with nobody else within eye sight or ear shot. What were they doing there? Were they waiting for a drug exchange? Were they waiting to prey on an unsuspecting young woman?

Gulp!

My mind got carried away with me, and I was really wishing I would see Les and the kids come around the bend any minute. I thought: What if they suddenly get out of their car and start approaching me? Sure, my doors are locked. But they could break the window and get at me. What would they do to me? Would they rob me? Rape me? Kill me? What if they duct taped my hands to the steering wheel and then pushed my van into the river and left me to drown?

Seriously, these thoughts were really going through my mind. I even squinted to try and get a look at their license plate in case I would need that piece of information later, but I couldn't quite make it out.

As I'm sitting there, I am trying to distract myself with the music coming from my radio, but I almost jumped for joy when I saw our boat coming towards the dock.

P-h-e-w-! I could breathe again.

I know I was being overly paranoid -- and I feel quite silly even telling this little story to you -- but at that time, I was legitimately concerned for my safety. (although for the record, even Les admitted that it seemed a little strange that they were there)

This is why I prefer watching comedies -- and even reality shows -- to all of these frightening CSI'ish shows. Yes, they do captivate my attention (I love watching how they figure everything out), but maybe it's best for me to give these shows a bit of a rest.

8 comments:

wfbdoglover said...

Go with your gut! Better be safe than sorry and if y ou think about it. Take a photo of the car/plate while you are waiting!

Leeann said...

LOL I do this same thing! You are not alone!

Pam said...

I'm with you- I do that too! I really shouldn't watch those shows either because it makes me thing of all the terrible things that could happen. Glad you are okay though!

Jenn said...

I probably would've reacted the exact same way!

andrea said...

yikes...i would've left in fear.odd ...yes! paranoid...not a chance...those are totally my thoughts too!

Kelly said...

I would have been scared right there with you. While we were at the boardwalk one night on vacation a car followed us the whole way back to the beach house and only turned off one road before ours. (And our house was pretty far excluded.) I had an entire plan in my head to ensure our safety! It's amazing where your mind takes you. Glad you're ok.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a paranoid streak!!

Xandra

Jamie said...

I would totally have had the same thoughts! So don't feel too bad; sounds like lots of people are the same!