Thursday, August 21, 2008

it's almost midnight

With Joelle starting kindergarten soon (18 sleeps...ACK!), it really makes me wonder how in the world this is happening so quickly? Don't get me wrong -- I'm excited for her to start school, and I know it will be a fabulous experience for her. But to think that very soon she will be spending every weekday morning away from me...it's a little sad too. Before you know it, she will be graduating high school and getting married!!

I'd like to share the lyrics to one of my newest favorite songs that seem quite fitting for this new experience we are about to embark on. It is written from a Dad's perspective, but the feelings are the same for a Mom. It gives me chills every time I hear it.


She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,
Without a care in the world.
And I'm sittin' here wearin' the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited and I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't wanna miss even one song,
Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says "Dad, the prom is just one week away,
And I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
I will dance with Cinderella
I don't wanna miss even one song,
Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

Well, she came home today
With a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
but I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, daddy please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
I will dance with CinderellaI don't wanna miss even one song,
Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

~Steven Curtis Chapman

13 comments:

Pam said...

that is a beautiful song...I know you will both do grat with her in Kindergarten. But it does come fast :(

Margo said...

I love that song too. I was actually listening to the CD yesterday and I thought of you while listening to the song about "changing the world one heartbeat at a time". What a beautiful tribute to young moms.

Kathy and Carl said...

Wow! Makes you want to crawl into bed with your kids right now and hold them so they don't grow up too fast.

Jamie said...

Great song! (Never heard it before, I went and listened on youtube.) Makes me so sad, thinking of how quickly life flies by. It's so hard to really cherish every single moment, but so important!

Pamela said...

I had heard the song before...but really only knew the course...and then I actually listened to the words when it came on the radio the day I had dropped Kiandra off at camp...talk about tear jerker! I was sitting in my van, Kiandra gone to camp for the week and the other two at day camp and I was alone. I realized that this was going to be more common as my kids grow up *sigh*

pam d said...

I love that song, but I have to change the station if it comes on while I'm driving, because it makes me cry every time I hear it!

Kelly said...

Great song! I can't believe Lyndsy is starting preschool. They grow up so fast!

Roo said...

aww
bless your mama heart.i cried when my SISTERS started school (i'm 12 and 14 years older then them) ....i don't know what i'm gonna do when the time comes for my girls to start school.

xo

andrea said...

what a precious song...savour those moments. wasn't it just last week that we celebrated her birth?

Regina said...

aaaaww, beautiful! This is sure to be an interesting experience for her AND you!! Try not to cry until she is happily situated in class and out of your sight...

Jen said...

Time does go by oh so quickly. It's posts like this that help me to remember to cherish each and every moment with my precious kids! Thanks! Your daughter is adorable!

TammyIsBlessed said...

I LOVE that song, it always makes me tear up.

I think when it's time for the last one to start school it might be even harder!

Jenn said...

I love that song too. I'm trying not to think about kindergarten starting in 13 sleeps. This is such a huge step!!