Friday, August 1, 2008

move over, 'days of our lives'

The following TRUE story has all the makings of a popular daytime soap opera:

1. Good looking characters
2. The exposing of a dirty little secret
3. Drastic turn of events
4. An act of betrayal
5. And a shocking discovery

Sounds enticing, doesn't it? Well, I'm afraid it's not nearly as exciting as I make it all sound. Although the good thing is that it doesn't destroy relationships and families. I suppose I'll take boring over that anyday.

Okay, so here's what went down:

1. The good looking characters: Why -- Les and myself, of course!

2. The exposing of a dirty little secret: Earlier this week, Les found out that I consume a lot more Pepsi than he thought I did. As it turns out -- ever since my last Pepsi Challenge ended, I have a minimum of 7 Pepsi's a week. That's right...at least one a day. What can I say -- it's an addiction (at least I admit it!). But I have never consumed this much Pepsi in my life. Until now. Needless to say, he was a bit surprised.

3. The drastic turn of events: After discovering this truth about my ever-growing Pepsi addiction, he put me on a "Pepsi budget". Now, he's not forcing me to do this; I agreed to it, since I know it's better for me. But here's the deal: I am only allowed 3-4 Pepsi's in a week and after that, it needs to be Diet.

4. The act of betrayal: Okay -- so for those of you who know me well, will know that I do NOT do Diet Pepsi. Seriously, what's up with that? I've always said I'd rather have NO Pepsi than Diet Pepsi. Sure, I did consider it during my last Pepsi Challenge, but ended up changing my mind before going off the deep end, and stuck with the real stuff. But...since I had already had my limit for the week, and we were having nachos for supper tonight -- I went out to the store and bought this:

Gasp!! I know -- I can hardly believe it either. I have n-e-v-e-r purchased Diet Pepsi before in my life. What a waste of money! And here is a whole case of 12 sitting on my dining room table?! In plain sight for anyone to see??? I was a bit ashamed. Please don't judge me!!

5. And finally, for the shocking discovery: Don't tell anyone, but....it wasn't even so bad. You might even say I enjoyed it. Okay, okay, I said it. Now get back to your lives and forget what you just read. And remember -- that's just between you and me!!

Alright, so this story may never win a Daytime Emmy award -- but the elements are all there.

18 comments:

Pam said...

hee hee hee! You are too funny. You know I drink diet Pepsi. So I won't hold it against you!

wfbdoglover said...

Oh please oh please go back to regular pepsi..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELgW4KBY-o4

Please watch this. I have been off it and known this since the 80's

ValleyGirl said...

I had the same shocking discovery the first time I tried Coke Zero. Well, no, the first time I hated it, but it grew on me quite quickly.

ValleyGirl said...

PS. That YouTube video is scary. I've always known aspartame was bad for you, but now I'm really glad I almost never chew gum and that it's been 2 months since I bought 2 cases of CZ and I'm still not through the first one!

Kathy and Carl said...

Diet Pepsi!!! Well, at least it wasn't Diet Coke; I don't know if we could be friends then.

I think you should just go back to the real stuff!

Louise said...

You are too funny!
Loved the little story...lol!

Erin said...

i was on the edge of my seat the whole time!! thanks for not including commercials!! :)o

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

So you'e either gonna die from diabetes complications because of the sugar in regular pepsi, or from cancer because of the aspartamae in diet pepsi. Hmmm....

I say go for cold turkey and give it ALL UP, girlfriend! We drink water in our house, even when we are at a restaurant we order water. (It's cheaper too!)

andrea said...

coming from someone who doesn't love soaps, i just adored it! funny funny! hope you can adjust to this new pepsi lifestyle!

Roo said...

:) you are cute. xo

MamaGeek said...

You are one creative CHIC!

Jody said...

Hey, diet pepsi isn't so bad with a slice of fresh lime. That's how I learned to drink it. Squeeze the slice of lime and let it float in your glass with a lot of ice. It's not so bad.

common mom said...

HAHAHAHA!!!

Hey - I have a suggestion for you - mix it half and half. REALLY! You'll be getting half as much regular Pepsi, but it really doesn't taste like diet at all with the half and half.

Try it - try it - try it! ;-)

common mom said...

OH - and really, 1 a day is not bad. I know it's the sugar blah blah blah, but just think of how much coffee and other crap people drink! When I was prego, I was totally nervous if I broke down and had 1 Coke every 5 days . . . then I read that "acceptable" is up to 3 A DAY! Really? I couldn't even DO that if I wanted to . . . the caffeine alone would send me into orbit.

wfbdoglover said...

HA HA Common Mom! When I was pregnant, I was already down to one Pepsi a day. So when they said I could have one caffine a day, there was no way I was going to give up my coffee AND, as I stated, they didn't say how big that one caffine could be. I had this gigantic cup from my favorite NYC deli every morning. HAHAH Since then, I rarely drink soda - except as I once slipped up and said - Only with alcohol. YUP, my son was complaining that he couldn't have soda and pointed out that I could drink soda and in a heat of anger, I said "I only drink soday with alcohol. oops)! But it is true!! LOL

Joanna said...

Oh the horror!! What's the deal? If you're drinking 7 cans of regular Pepsi or 7 cans of DIEt Pepsi? You are still drinking 7 cans so might as well enjoy it, right?

TammyIsBlessed said...

Buwah ah ah ah! We are drawing you in to the dark side. :)

Kelly said...

You need to meet my hubby. He drinks 3-4 sodas a day and none of them are diet! I admit, when I 'm not nursing I'm good for 2-3 a day myself. Saying that makes me feel like I'm at an SA meeting (you know Sodaholics Anonymous. LOL