Friday, August 8, 2008

photostory friday: the butterfly whisperer

Guess which tender-hearted young girl took this injured butterfly under her wing yesterday?


She discovered the butterfly first thing in the morning and took care of it all day long -- from gently holding it, to making a nice home for it in a jar (complete with rocks, dirt and grass), putting it to sleep in a hand-made bed of leaves -- pillow included -- and 'tucking it in' for the night in the garage.

I love that I captured her gentleness and compassion on camera. This daughter of mine -- my eldest child -- has a heart of gold and a sensitive spirit. I pray she will always have this kind of love and kindness pouring out of her.

(I just hope she'll be able to cope okay when she realizes that this new friendship might not be very long lasting...)













Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

ps: Les was sure to point out to me that this is actually a moth -- not a butterfly -- but a butterfly sounds much prettier, which is why I continue to refer to it as such.

15 comments:

andrea said...

a moth? hummmm,i agree it's too pretty to be a moth! isn't it really neat watching our lil ones nurturing...learning by example...scary yet heart-warming!

Pam said...

I would call it a butterfly too. How sweet if your girl!!

Jacki said...

How sweet! She reminds me of my daughter...she is always finding bugs and making homes in jars for them.

Louise said...

Very beautiful!!GREAT PICTURE!!

Working mum said...

Oooo, more beautiful butterflies on PSF (I'm calling it a butterfly too). We just have boring Cabbage Whites here. Great photo and lovely story.

MamaGeek said...

First, tell Les we agree with YOU.

Secondly, I love this story and her big, beautiful heart.

Lastly, I'm STOKED you played along!

Erin said...

it's beautiful no matter what it is how ur daughter took care of it so gently!

Hannah Noel said...

What a great photo!

Susie said...

Looks like a butterfly to me!
Your daughter seems so sweet and sensitive. I hope she can nurse this little one back to good health and set it free before their friendship ends a different way.
What a great story!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Sweet of her to care for the butterfly!

Chris said...

Moth or butterfly, it doesn't matter. The real beauty in this story is your daughter's reaction and compassion. I have one like that too. Now, having said that...what a cool picture! I've been dying to get a good butterfly (or moth) shot.

Roo said...

:)

Cecily R said...

Beautiful picture!!

What a sweet girl. And it's totally not a moth. Even if it is, its not. Way too pretty. :)

Mamarazzi said...

soooo sweet!

Rebecca said...

WOW, I can't believe you got that shot or that she was holding & caring for the moth/butterfly all day. I've heard that moths are actually prettier than the butterfly & are misunderstood by a lot of people. Either way it's a great shot & story!