Tuesday, August 26, 2008

that just-washed feeling

There are some things that you want to last a long time. You know -- like a tank of gas, your children's good behaviour, holidays, a sweet kiss, summer...and I could go on and on.

But one thing that most of us do not want to last a long time is that just-washed feeling. You know what I'm talking about...you put on a pair of jeans and they feel a little snug at the waist. You shrug it off thinking, "I know I just washed these; they'll loosen up in no time."

But what if they don't?

That is exactly what happened to me a few short weeks ago. We were headed up to spend a day at the lake and it was unseasonably cool, so I hauled out the jeans that I hadn't said hello to in quite some time. Part of me was excited to put them on, since there is no article of clothing I love more than a good pair of comfy -- yet sexy -- blue jeans.

But that excitement quickly waned as I buttoned them up and realized they were not quite as comfortable as I remembered them to be.

Huh, I thought. This is odd. Oh wait -- I just probably haven't worn them since they came out of the wash. And on I went with my morning.

However, as morning turned into afternoon which turned into evening...I realized that the just-washed feeling wasn't too keen on disappearing. And everytime I went to the washroom, I felt a few short moments of relief as my stomach was once again allowed to properly breathe.

Uh-oh! This is not going to work for me. Nope. No way. Not gonna happen!

I know that a big part of the problem is one of the side effects of my anti-depressant prescription that I am on. But there are other reasons for this too -- a couple of them being my love obsession with Pepsi, and these bad-boys. When you add up all of these factors, my recent weight gain -- and I'm just going to come right out and say it -- has been 20 pounds since February (since I started on my medication).

Ouch!! That hurts!

So, I need to make some serious changes. As tempted as I am to drop my prescription and see what happens, I know I am not ready for that -- especially with fall/winter just right around the corner. So I need to step up my game in other ways.

Excercising is a big one. I refuse to miss a day of working out. Even if have to get up early for work (like today) and can't drag myself out of bed earlier than 6:30am to do it, I have to do something in the evening (like my ab work-out that I did tonight). Who says excercising has to only happen in the morning?

And then there's my Pepsi addiction. I know my previous poll indicated there are several people out there who think I should cut it out of my life completely. Well, that would be like asking me to stop breathing. So no, I can't -- and won't -- do that...but why can't I just hold my breath for awhile? I have now gone 2 days without Pepsi and I'm not even twitching yet! I'm not saying I'm going to go for a certain period of time without it (like my other 2 Pepsi challenges), but rather I am going to really pick and choose my moments. (Oh -- and the Diet Pepsi didn't work out for me...it gave me headaches and kept me up at night. No good!)

And with food...no more cinnamon biscuits!! And no more casual snacking. A cookie here, a handful of chips there and it all adds up.

I am turning the big 3-0 in about 4 1/2 months...and I refuse to enter that phase of my life at the weight I am now. I hear it's even harder to lose weight once you reach that decade, so I need to get my groove on now while I'm still in my twenties!

I g-u-a-r-a-n-t-e-e you that by the time I turn 30 on January 15th -- I will have long lost that just-washed feeling. Just you wait and see!!

Game on!!

10 comments:

Leeann said...

Good luck! If anyone can do it...it's you. You have such a positive outlook on everything!

andrea said...

you are quite a story teller! i am your biggest fan and i'll be cheering for you. you are determined and putting things in writing makes it more concrete. i am certain that those pants will be falling off when your birthday hits...and not because of Les, i mean...hahahaha...
and Christmas/birthday shopping with your mom will be even more exciting...and not only the just-washed feeling but the brand-new,-never-worn-and-a-smaller-size feeling will be all the hype...
BRING IT ON!!!

Pam said...

good luck! you have a great outlook and attitude and that is half the battle!

Jenn said...

You've got such great determination. I know you can do it!!

ValleyGirl said...

You go, girl!! I know you can do it! It's all about attitude ~ which has made a HUGE difference for me. And I'm already in the NEXT decade!! (So that should give you hope that it'll still be possible to have success AFTER January 15!)

Roo said...

go andrea go!! i'm in your corner sista! xo

Kelly said...

I always blame it on the dryer!

Good luck! I'm too lazy and just go buy new jeans! lol

Anonymous said...

You can do it Andrea!!! I'm afraid of trying my jeans on from before Sophie. I'm sure they're going to have that "just-washed feeling" too:(
Jackie

common mom said...

Your attitude and outlook say it all :-) You'll totally be able to do it!

Game on!

Erin said...

best of luck 2 ya!
i always like to blame my dryer for "shrinking" my clothes when they have that feeling! ;)