Thursday, September 18, 2008

empty nest

It may only be for 2 1/2 hours every Thursday morning...but to me, it feels like I have an 'empty nest' right now. Malia is enjoying her first morning of pre-school today, and I am enjoying my first morning of having both kids in school. It feels so weird, but yet so wonderful all at the same time.

Here is my newest little school girl, so excited about this big step. And yes, I know -- the backpack is almost bigger than she is. But I like to think ahead and save money...this is a backpack that she will be able to use for years to come.

Here are the schoolgirl-sisters, proud as could be.


Malia couldn't wait to get to school. As soon as Joelle got on her school bus, Malia was saying, "It's time to go, Mommy! I need to go to school!"

She had no problem walking right into her class and conversing with her teachers. There was no hesitancy, no tears...nothing! I was so proud of her.

So, what am I going to do with my first morning alone? Well...I should be sweeping/washing my floors. Or dusting my living room furniture. Or cleaning my kitchen. Or putting away laundry. Or cleaning my main floor bathroom.

But is that what I'm going to do? Heck, no! I am going to kick back, enjoy a taped episode of Ellen and play on my brand new laptop. And I'm going to do all of it without a stitch of guilt.

Oh -- and I'm going to try and stay away from these (Malia's first fundraiser):

Hmmm...a house to myself, and 30 (actually, 29 since I've already had my first sale) chocolate bars -- talk about a dangerous combination!

12 comments:

andrea said...

sounds wonderful and tastes delightful! enjoy your time whatever that includes...go ahead, kick back and know that they are in great hands as your hands are chill'laxing...;)

amy said...

wonderful ics!Have a good time

Margo said...

Yay for you! It really is wonderful to have some time ALL alone. However...it's also wonderful having kids at home (sigh). After dropping Jessica off at the airport I told Gina I wanted everyone to be 6 again. She said she wished for that too.

Too bad your kids don't live closer - you just know Auntie Margo would support this fund raiser!!

By the way ~ great pictures!

Leeann said...

I have never seen that candy before. LOL Makes me realize that I really do talk to people from all over. :)
Well, we have Kit Kats...but never seen one like that. The others? Never heard of them.
Enjoy your quiet time! I know I do mine!

Pam said...

your girls are beautiful! They look so happy to being going to school! I'm glad you relaxed some!

Roo said...

she is beautiful. they both are. xo little sugars.

Dawn said...

Thanks so much for signing on with me. I am so sorry I have to do it this way. Kristen would like to get hers going this way as well, but she is SO busy with school and 4 kids!

FEisty is heading to preschool Monday - we hope she does as well as she thinks she's going to. But we'll still have two kids to take care of - two little rascally 8 month olds!

Mamarazzi said...

its amazing how different the candy wrappers are than the ones here. are they different because of the fundraiser or is this a Canada/USA thing?

yes i am easily amused.

OH and total cuteness on the kids...they are such beautoful little girls!

yes i am also easily distracted, by chocolate.

Jenn said...

She's just so cute. As much as it will be nice to have my kid-free time next year when Alex goes to pre-school, I don't want this year to go too fast. He's still my baby!

Roo said...

hi andrea...thanks for your comments. just wanted to let you know that i cleared my cache and everything seems to be good again! i sent some messages to blogger and it appears that they are having huge issues with a number of areas of their service. BUT clearing the cache will sometimes fix it for you. yah!

Kathy and Carl said...

What a wonderful time. So glad to hear that Malia loves school. And what a treat for you! I hope you enjoy your Thursday mornings to the fullest!

Tereza said...

A bitter sweet moment I'm sure