Sunday, September 21, 2008

the land of the ladybugs

Yesterday was not only Joelle's 5th birthday -- but her first real birthday party! We've had family & friend get-togethers over the years, but yesterday was the first time I threw her an actual birthday party -- with friends (and no parents), complete with invitations, crafts and games.

Joelle chose a ladybug theme, so I started off by making these invitations a couple of weeks ago to hand out to the 6 friends she chose to invite.


Next comes the cake. I spent 3 hours making the Mama Ladybug, and her 10 little babies (each girl got to take one home with her after the party). I used mini-Oreos for the spots (and the eyes), and the green icing on the side of the Mama is supposed to represent grass, just in case you were wondering. I'm not the most expert of cake makers -- or decorators -- but I have made all of my girls' birthday cakes, of which I am quite proud...I even make the cake from scratch -- none of this 'from the box' stuff. (This was Joelle's butterfly cake and Malia's bumblebee cake from last year's birthdays)Isn't this cake just too cute for words?

Sticking with the ladybug theme, for our craft we made ladybug hats. I cut out the strips of red paper ahead of time, and had each girl trace, cut and paste the black spots. Then we twirled red and black pipe-cleaners for the antennae. The girls all did a great job.


To complete the look, each girl got a set of ladybug wings and a wand (thanks to the dollar store and the Halloween aisle!), and of course this was part of their party favours that they got to take home with them. (This picture was actually taken just tonight when Joelle was already in her PJ's, but the only other pictures I have of the complete ensemble is with all of the party guests, and since I didn't ask parents for permission to post pictures of their kids, this is all you're gonna get!)

For the games -- we played a rousing game of "Musical Ladybugs" (a version of "musical chairs", but instead of having to find a chair to sit in, they had to find a leaf to fly to), and following that was the all-familiar "Pin the Tail Spot on the Donkey Ladybug".


We also had a "Find the Ladybug" game -- where Les and I had hidden a bunch of hand-made ladybugs around the house, and each party girl had to find two. They were all numbered on the back, and afterwards the Birthday Girl picked 2 winning numbers out of a hat, and those two girls won a prize.

Next, of course, came presents...and then cake!!




I had no idea that planning & throwing this sort of theme party would take quite so much time and effort (I was up till midnight the night before getting all of the last-minute stuff prepared) -- or that it would make such a mess to clean up afterwards. But it was all worth it! It was a lot of fun, and I think all of the girls thought so too.
I think I've seen enough ladybugs for awhile though...although -- wait -- I might be able to handle another piece of that cake! Excuse me while I grab a fork and dig right in!

19 comments:

Pam said...

you did a great job! Wow! Yeah for you and all your hard work. I'm lad it was a good time.

Pamela said...

nice! I love theme parties! You did an awesome job on the cake-way to go!

Margo said...

Sounds like a fantastic party! Ooh, I would love a piece of cake right now. Chocolate cake is my all time favorite dessert.

Erin said...

that cake is adorable!! good job!

ValleyGirl said...

That looks awesome!! I never thought I'd enjoy throwing that kind of a birthday party, but after Peanut's party last winter, I had to admit that I'd actually had quite a bit of fun putting it all together! You did a great job ~ I love the cake!

andrea said...

what a fabulous party! great cake and all that planning! gotta love those ladybugs...isn't she just beautiful...wishing you a great day relaxing on that it's over....next week it's all over again or is it?!

Roo said...

oh THAT IS GREAT!
love it andrea.
for shiloh's first birthday i made her a puppy cake and also some lady bug cup cakes. WHAT A BLAST!
i am totally addicted to kids birthday parties. i can't wait to start my cake for her 3rd birthday......

Mamarazzi said...

oh the cuteness! you rock my friend...totally rock!! and the other cakes are just as impressive!

yay you!

Amanda said...

awesome job on the party. very creative.

Regina said...

What an awesome party theme! Everything was beautiful! Happy Birthday to your baby!

jackie said...

ADORABLE, all of it!!!

Kellan said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! What a darling theme and party - you did a great job - loved the cake and babies!!! Joelle is beautiful - I hope she had a blast!

Take care and see you - Kellan

Carol said...

A ladybug after my own heart!

Carol (aka Northwest Ladybug)

Joanna said...

That is soo cute!!

But that much work just proves you are waaay low on your Pepsi intake. Better down a few so you'll know don't do that again. :)

common mom said...

Awesome job on the party! I like to make my kids' cakes, too . . . but I go for the box :-) I have no idea how to modify a "from scratch" recipe for the high altitude we live at.

Great job . . . I bet she had a BLAST!

Kathy and Carl said...

Can I just say bravo to you! The party looked amazing and what great ideas for the games and the activities! Hmmm....gave me some pretty awesome ideas :) You are very creative and think of it this way, a birthday only comes once a year, so you can afford to loose a bit of sleep and sanity!

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

You know how I love all of the ladybug stuff! Great job on the cake - awesome!! And pin the dot on the ladybug? Fabulous!

Can't wait to use some of these ideas. Ladybug will get a ladybug-themed party until she's old enough to tell me to stop!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

You did a fabulous job on the cake, games and decorations!! Expert cake maker or not, it looked great!!

Xandra

TammyIsBlessed said...

You did such a great job!

From one non-professional cake maker to another - the cake(s) looked great!!