Tuesday, September 9, 2008

school daze

These last couple of days have been a whirlwind of excitement and activity, as Joelle started kindergarten on Monday. After my anxious Sunday evening (and Monday morning!), the time had finally arrived, and my little girl became a school kid. Officially.

Y-i-k-e-s-!

Here is my darling daughter as she poses nicely for her very first day of school pictures. Isn't she adorable?? She was SO excited to get to school, she could hardly wait.

F-i-n-a-l-l-y, we get to school and Malia gives her a quick farewell hug (notice how Joelle is already eyeing the classroom, but still takes the time to indulge her little sister) and into the class she goes. No hesitation. No tears. No worries. She got her shoes out of her little cubby, put on her name tag, and headed straight to "the learning circle" to put on the shoes and start looking at books until all the kids arrived.


We watched her for a few minutes, and then were on our way. Malia wasn't the least bit phased that we were leaving Joelle there (I can thank last year's pre-school experience for that, I suppose). And 2 1/2 hours later, we went back to pick up our kindergartener. Wow -- what an experience!

Today was also another very exciting day as it was Joelle's first day on the bus (yesterday was the second part of the staggered entrance, so no kindergarten students took the bus until this morning). Again, she was thrilled about this and kept reminding Malia while getting ready that "you won't be coming to pick me up from school anymore, 'cause I'm taking the bus!"

Here she is, waiting to get picked up by the big yellow vehicle. She can hardly contain her excitement! I was excited for her too -- until I saw the bus coming down the street; then I got a bit choked up.

And here she goes, up the big steps. She looks sort of nervous, but it was just one of those "Hey Joelle -- look here" kind of pictures, where she's caught off guard. I didn't have a lot of time, since there were a lot of kids getting on at this stop, so I couldn't make her pose all nicely. So I just took what I could get.

As soon as she got on the bus, she plunked herself down in the front seat (beside a girl she didn't even know!) and started grinning from ear to ear, waving like crazy. It was a bit sad watching the school bus drive away, my little girl inside.

The morning seemed to d-r-a-g by, but eventually 11:30 came around, and Malia and I headed back to the bus stop to greet her. She came bounding down the steps, the grin still plastered on her face (okay -- maybe it was a new grin...but either way, I was happy to see her all smiles).


And thus ends the first school day experience, and the first day on the bus experience. Next up? Her first ballet class (which starts in 45 minutes). Sheesh! What a week!!

16 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

I can hardly wait to see pictures of her in her ballet outfit!! (uniform, leotard, whatever you call it!) Sounds like a big week!

andrea said...

oh i love those pictures! she is all grown up. i like her outfits and her hair all done up! so cute!
happy ballet class!

jackie said...

Oh so exciting! That's so wonderful that she was so excited about it all!

Pam said...

She isn't even my daughter and I totally cried! I'm so glad she was excited about it and had such wonderful days!

Betty said...

Yup, I have to admit I teared up a wee bit as well...brought back all those memories and feelings of our firstborn starting kindergarten, getting on that big bus...and here he is...a daddy himself now. Crazy..this thing called life!! I'm so happy that this was all such a wonderful experience for her. Makes it SO MUCH easier on mom. Hope the ballet will be a good experience as well.

Kelly said...

Wow what excitement! I love the smiles. There is nothing better than an excited child. If they smile you just can't help but smile back!

Joanna said...

Sniff! Glad you survived!

Roo said...

wow! what a confident little girl you have! she is amazing!

Kellan said...

Looks like she had a great first day and she is so darling - what a cute outfit and beautiful girl - they both are!

Take care, Andrea - see you - Kellan

Louise said...

Ahhhh that is so exciting!!
Love those pictures!

Mamarazzi said...

she looks soooo grown up!!

ready to take on the world.

and dressed SO CUTE!!

Tereza said...

aaaaaaaaaaw....bitter sweet!

Jenn said...

I love the picture where she's eyeing the classroom! It's been a great week.

Leeann said...

She looks beautiful! I love that kids are always way more prepared than we are! :)

Margo said...

Great pictures - great memories. I'm so glad the start of Kindergarten has been such a positive experience (for both of you!). It was very nice to see you and the girls for a bit yesterday.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Yay!!!! Great pictures! I KNEW it would go wonderfully well. So exciting.