Thursday, September 4, 2008

thursday thirteen: a weight off my shoulders

Well, maybe the weight isn't coming off my shoulders -- but it's coming off of somewhere...seven pounds of it in 10 days to be exact. And here is my list of 13 ways I have accomplished this:

1) When my family got slurpees on a hot day --I declined.

2) When I got freezies for my kids on another hot day -- instead of having one of my own like I normally would've, I did not.

3) Instead of consuming at least one Pepsi a day (which would've amounted to up to a dozen in this 10 day period) -- I cut it down to 1 regular Pepsi, and 3 Diet Pepsi's in this same time frame.

4) When my family went out for ice cream cones -- I had one. No, I didn't 'mess up.' I did the right thing; allowing myself a treat from time to time will prevent me from giving up and binging on my cravings.

5) I eat smaller portions at meal times.

6) I eat only one helping at meal times.

7) I avoid snacking between meals and before bedtime (if I really need to have a snack, it will be a piee of fruit, or a teeny helping of crackers, or a 100 calorie granola bar).

8) I excercise at least 20 minutes a day.

9) I drink only water (other than the few Pepsi's I mentioned in #3).

10) I ride my bike to the grocery store for one or two items, instead of driving.

11) I parked at the school last night for a meeting, and got there early so I had time to walk to the post office and back.

12) I only have 1 piece of toast and a glass of water for breakfast at work instead of 2 pieces of toast with a cup of hot tea (with more sugar than tea!).

13) I made myself a sign which I put on my pantry door:


So, when I'm tempted to dig into this -- I have encouragement to think before I act eat.
And that, my friends, is how I have lost seven pounds in ten days. And that is also how I intend to keep losing weight each and every week until I have reached my goal.

Thursday Thirteen

24 comments:

Betty said...

WAY TO GO!! I wish I had that determination. I gotta find it...SOON!!

verabear said...

Congratulations! I hope doing what you do works for me too :)

Happy TT! :)

MamaGeek said...

Now THIS is inspiration I should take to heart (as I down a bag of cotton candy).

TIS AWESOME Andrea.

YummY! said...

Congratulations! You know when to say no and when to say yes!

ValleyGirl said...

Atta girl! I knew you could do it!!

Jenn said...

That is awesome! Good for you!

elaine said...

wow, 7 pounds, that's alot in that amount of time, you must be doing all the right things! good on yer and happy TT!

melanie said...

Great job!! I have old skinny pictures of myself on my fridge to help me remember. But the only thing it does is depress me. I should post that verse instead!

Krista Nicole said...

You are AWESOME!!! Keep it up!

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Good for you! Especially on the Pepsi's, as I'm sure that has been really tough!

BTW, thought of you the other day. I heard that Casting Crowns will be in our town in October. Anytime I hear "Lifesong," I think of you!

andrea said...

awesome girlfriend! i'm so so proud! i actually got the chance to drive thru your town cuz of the wedding reheasal and I could picture exactly where you were. again, I'm so so proud! you inspire me!

Pam said...

Good for you! You are doing it the right way and I'm so proud of you!

You are setting a great example for your girls too! They see mommy having treats in moderation, eating healthy, exercising, and making good fod choices! Good for you!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Way to go - I'm proud of you!!!

Tereza said...

Are you looking for a diet buddy at all.........I'd love to be!! Let me know (take note of my new blog which is where I aim to track progress!)

Tereza said...

oops..here:
http://tereza-random.blogspot.com

Louise said...

Way to go that is so awesome!!
Love the sign on the pantry door, I may have to steal that idea ;)
You go girl!!

Roo said...

you r an inspiraton 2 me. i need to get rid of 20 pounds and reading this gave me hope!

common mom said...

Yay!!! You should be way proud of yourself!!! You have way more willpower than I do - way to go!

Another trick I've learned - use a salad plate for your main meal. The plate looks full, even though your portions are small . . . and it actually fools your brain.

pam d said...

I've had that verse on my fridge since Annika was born. Not as a weight-loss motivator, more like a life motivator. The fridge just seemed like a convenient place.
Good for you!

Erin said...

good job...please send me some of ur will power!

Jamie said...

Way to go! I love the sign on your pantry door! Wonderful!

Kathy and Carl said...

I'm really proud of you. It's the everyday little choices that have obviously made the difference. So what are you going to do with all those nice clothes once you are too small for them....heh heh:)

JMBMOMMY said...

Good Job! I have been doing a study called the Lord's Table by setting captives free-- and I am learning how long I have let my impulses control my actions -- so hopefully as I embrace new habits and learn to say no to my flesh--I'll join you in some weight loss. :) I think you are so wise to say yes sometimes in moderation--"laws" create rebellion!

Pamela said...

Great job! Woohoo!