Thursday, October 30, 2008

already?

"I'm not ever going to be your friend again." Those were the words that were directed at my 5 year old this morning on the bus -- all because of who Joelle chose to sit with for the short three-minute ride to school.

My heart broke into a million pieces as I listened to Joelle re-tell the events of this morning. Her voice was full of hurt and confusion, and she is really concerned that this friend will not want to sit with her on the bus ever again.

I tried to reassure Joelle that I would phone this friend's mom and that we would work things out -- and she reminded me of this promise before she went to bed tonight. So I promptly phoned the mother and expressed my concerns to her.

Luckily, this mother is someone I would call a friend -- or at least a friendly acquaintance -- so thankfully my phone call was received very gracefully. Now Joelle is impatient and anxious about what tomorrow will bring when she faces her at the bus again.

How does this sort of thing happen to 5-year-olds? At that age, they shouldn't even know anything about threatening to take away friendship if things don't go as they want them to go.

Sigh...life was so much simpler without all of this school-age drama.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

That is such an awful feeling. I can just see how the mother bear would rise up. Glad you got it sorted out, hopefully things are ok from now on.

ValleyGirl said...

I know, I can't believe how early it starts. You think it isn't an issue until middle school, but no, they're startin' with this crap earlier and earlier, it seems!

Pam said...

I'm so sorry! I hope thing work out and it is all okay. Young kids don't have much in their 'hurt toolbox' and usually pull out the not your friend card because of it. That doesn't make it okay though- we try to teach them to use their words and say things like I'm sad you want to sit with --- and not me. And that you can be friends with lots of people. But it is hard. Hope Joelle has a better bus morning. Keep us posted.

Erin said...

aww!! I think a part of my heart broke a little too... :( Hope all gets better!!

Margo said...

Awww - it's so hard to watch kids hurt eachother. I'm glad you were able to talk with the other mother about it ~ not everyone is that receptive. I hope today's bus ride was a happy one.

melanie said...

Oh isn't it just awful when you can't fix their hurts with a kiss and a hug?

Roo said...

ohhhhhhhhh that is so so hard. bless yer mama heart.

TammyIsBlessed said...

One of the first times that happened to Emma was at her own 5th birthday party! It's so sad that it starts so soon. This is something we are stressing very much with our girls - not to be catty!!!

I don't care if it's typical of girls, I don't care if they will be friends again in 5 seconds - that is so not allowed!

Poor Joelle!