Sunday, October 5, 2008

let them eat cake...again

The string of birthday parties for my girls have finally come to an end. It's been a lot of fun (but a lot of work!), and a LOT of cake!! :)

Here is a picture of my darling daughters the night before Malia's big day -- Joelle insisted on taking one last picture while Malia was still two years old. I was happy to oblige. Look how much they love each other!

On Wednesday -- Malia's actual birthday -- I just had a few friends over in the afternoon who had kids the same age as Malia who she has spent some time with over the last several months. It was a low-key party (not nearly as done-up as Joelle's) and the main event was that each child got to decorate their own mini-heart-shaped birthday cake. Here is a picture of Malia's masterpiece.

And here is my THREE-YEAR-OLD daughter as we are singing "Happy Birthday" to her. Oh, how I love this little girl.

But Malia's 'real' birthday party happened on Saturday evening. We did something different for her party this year and just invited some of her adult friends from church over for a pizza supper and cake. Now, you may be thinking that we did this as more of a party for ourselves instead of our 3 year old daughter...but let it be known that we really did do it for Malia's sake, as these genuinely are some of her very best friends.

These are people who she sees every Sunday at church, who take the time to make her feel special. They go out of their way to talk to her, play with her, tickle her, chase her and love her. These are the people who she talks about regularly at home and the ones she often remembers in her prayeres. People who have definitely made an impression on her and people who she utterly adores. These are the ones she has a special bond with and this is how we chose to celebrate her birthday.

And, the moment you've all been waiting for...here is Malia's birthday cake. I had so much fun making this cake, and I had been looking forward to it ever since she helped pick it when I was doing some cake-searching on-line earlier in the summer. For those of you who can't tell what it is (ahem -- Sheldon!), it is a flower garden.

This precious little girl has no idea how loved she is by all of her family and friends. We are all truly blessed to have this energetic bundle of joy in our lives.


Happy Birthday, my little miss Malia! I hope you really enjoyed your 3rd birthday party!!

And now I can put my cake-making skills to rest for awhile. As well as my icing-licking finger (don't worry -- I do not 'double-dip'...).

10 comments:

andrea said...

how adorable! i just heard this past week that adults, not kids is the most important thing for raising our kids. they'll make friends in time, no need to rush. they apparently need adults to love and show interest in them as they grow up....ok enough of that, love the party and adorable cake! she must be so proud! how do you not continuely kiss her supple cheeks!
btw, thanks for not double dipping-huge pet peeve of mine!

ValleyGirl said...

Sounds like a great couple of weeks, but I can see how you'd be glad they're over! Looks like she had a lot of fun!

Crystal said...

What great pictures! I'm so glad she had a great birthday. And the cake!! Talk about amazing!! I've always wanted to take a cake decorating class... instead I've been reduced to allowing Costco to do it for me. So Kudos to you.

And I think it was so sweet of you to tell her grown up friends how much they mean to her and how she prays for them. I thought that was adorable.

Pam said...

I love the pink!

You are going to have to teach me how you do that with the cakes. that is something I wish I could do. Glad it all went well!

Sheila said...

That cake it absolutely ADORABLE!!! This past year I also started to make my kids birthday cakes, too! Its so much more personal...and fun! Even though I'm not that good at it yet...I have many years to practice!

Joanna said...

Your girls are so ca-ute!!

Kathy and Carl said...

I love the idea of having her adult friends over. Wow! What a blessing to have other adults in her life that impact her in such a positive way.

Whew! Now you can rest a while....isn't Christmas coming?!

Pamela said...

Awesome cake! Congrats on making it through birthday season...I am always relieved when ours is over!

melanie said...

We did the same thing for Hailey's birthday- invited grandparents and aunts and uncles. There were a few cousins there, but it was mostly adults. And I think it works better that way anyways- especially when they are this young.

Those cakes look fabulous!! Happy Birhtday!!

Mamarazzi said...

CUTE cakes and CUTER-EST kids!