Sunday, November 16, 2008

non-traditional wish list

There is just over a month left until Christmas. Can you believe it? I can't! I have slowly been getting more and more into the Christmas spirit...with turning on our Christmas lights (that we just left up on the roof from last year...), listening to Christmas music, starting my Christmas shopping, hanging our wreath on our door, and making up wish lists for gifts we'd like to receive.

My wish list is full of the regular -- clothes, books, games, music, etc. Material things that people can actually go out and buy for me.

But lately I've been thinking about a different sort of wish list -- a wish list that isn't full of physical items you can get in a shopping mall. A more emotional sort of wish list that can only be fulfilled through the grace of God, the goodness of humankind, and a world willing to change.

Here are some things that are on this non-traditional wish list:

*Everybody who desperately wants (and can properly take care of) a child would be able to have one. Everybody deserves a child they can love with all of their heart.
*All children would live to see their high school graduation, their wedding day, and their own children and grand-children.
*No parent would have to bury their child.
*Cancer would be beaten once and for all.
*Broken families would be re-united.
*No child would think he was ever un-loved.

Notice I don't wish for constant peace and love between all people. I don't wish for no disagreements, no turmoil in anyone's lives, or that everybody all believe in the same God (edited to add: -- at least not right from child-hood. I think a lot of people who are not Christians can learn a lot in 'their world' before turning to God. But in the end -- I most definitely would wish for everybody to believe in the One and true God! Just thought I should clear that up.)

If the world were a perfect place -- how would we ever experience God's grace? If we were never challenged, how would we ever grow? And if we were never hurt by another person, how would we ever learn forgiveness?

I wouldn't want people to have perfect lives with no situations that could make them into a better person. I think it is important to go through life constantly learning new things and striving to become better. I wouldn't want to take that away from everybody, even if it means life gives them challenges they think they may not be able to overcome.

No, I wouldn't want to do that. But I do want there to be h-o-p-e for everybody. And that is my ultimate Christmas wish.

15 comments:

amy said...

beautiful honest post. i agree.

common mom said...

Well Said!

Louise said...

Very true!!
HUGS

andrea said...

thinking beyond ourselves is a wonderful way to enjoy Christmas and the needs of others around us. I do believe that Jesus extends grace to me daily and each moment to moment, for that, I am so thankful!... His hope is all will fill their emptyness with His love rather than stuff...and that's my prayer too!

Pam said...

very well said!!

Margo said...

Great "wish list"! The only thing I would change is a prayer that all people WOULD believe in the same God. Doesn't make everything perfect, but offers truth, hope and life.

Andrea said...

margo -- maybe i should've worded that part differently. i definitely do wish that before people die, they find their belief in the same God as you and i. but i don't necessarily wish that everybody starts out that way, as i think there are a lot of things to be learned along the way that might not be learned if they had that faith to begin with.

does that make sense?

Kathy and Carl said...

It takes a lot to wish for things that aren't ultimately pleasant, but will help us grow and grow closer to God. Life isn't always easy and that's okay. With God, nothing is impossible!

What a great way to prepare for Christmas Andrea.

Kelly said...

I second all of that! Well said!

Joanna said...

(Claps loudly) Well said!

Roo said...

xo

Regina said...

Great post and great list!
Parents should never have to bury a child and children should grow to see all that life has to offer.

melanie said...

What a great post Andrea! I certainly agree.

Colleen Dyck said...

Hi Andrea! Love your post. . I think I'm going to do some revamping to my own wish list now! Thanks for the inspiration. . . and I didn't know our daughters were in the same class. . cool. .what's your daughter's name? I probably met her when I was volunteering. . .

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

beautiful!