Tuesday, November 25, 2008

now when they make me lose my marbles...

...I make them lose theirs!


Les and I have recently implemented a new system to trying to control some of the girls' negative behaviour issues. I remembered reading this in a Parenting magazine a few years back, and Les had just gotten this same suggestion from a friend just last week.

Here's how it works...each of the girls has a set of jars -- one is a 'happy jar' and one is a 'sad jar.' We started off with equal amounts of marbles in each jar.

When one of them does something positive -- like finishing all their food on their plate at mealtimes, sharing something with their sister, listening when it's time to leae a friend's house, getting ready for bed without complaining -- they get a marble taken from their 'sad jar' and put into their 'happy jar.'

And on the other hand...when one of them does something negative -- like throw a temper tantrum, talk back to their Mother, hit/scratch/bite/push their sister -- they get a marble taken from their 'happy jar' and put into their 'sad jar.'

At the end of the week, if their 'happy jar' has more marbles in it than their 'sad jar,' they get some sort of reward. This reward could be in the form of a slurpee, a movie rental, or a toy from the dollar store.
Joelle is off to a good start so far, with her happy jar being more full than her sad jar.

Malia, on the other hand, may have her work cut out for her as her sad jar currently has more weight in it than her happy jar.


**jars were labeled and decorated by Joelle**

So, with this new plan -- on top of the one from last week -- I'm hoping that nobody will be losing any more marbles (figuratively, or literally!).


9 comments:

Krista Nicole said...

Cute idea! Hopefully it works well for your girls. Are all the marbles the same size?

TammyIsBlessed said...

That's a really cute idea. Don't forget to update us on how it works out!

Rebecca said...

This is a great idea! I'd be interested in seeing how this works out with the kids.

melanie said...

What a cute idea. I love it!! Keep us posted on how it ends up working.

Roo said...

FANTASTIC andrea. i love that idea.

Leeann said...

I love this idea. I considered it for my house, too...until I realized that they'd probably get into the marbles, roll them all over the floor and I'd either end up breaking my ankle, or sucking one up in the vacuum. :)

Margo said...

Such a great idea! A great constant visual reminder for the girls. My accident prone middle child likely would have swalled one, though, or stuck one in her ear or something silly like that, and we would have had to make yet another trip to the ER.
I hope you have great success with this!

Pam said...

that is a good idea- and for me, it would be a visual reminder. I tend to focus on the negative so I would feel like the kids were bad all the time, but the happy jar would remind me that they did good things too and remind me that maybe it wasn't as terrible as I felt. What a good mommy you are!!

Kathy and Carl said...

What a wonderful idea! I heard someone having a blessings and a burdens sheet with their older kids. If I don't have marbles, maybe rocks will do? Thanks for the idea!