Tuesday, December 9, 2008

it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas over here

Christmas is only a mere 16 days away...that's just barely over 2 weeks!! Is it just me, or did that sneak up on us really quickly?

Although I have been listening to Christmas music and making Christmas crafts with the kids for the last few weeks already, we have only just recently decorated our house for the season. On Saturday we had a family tree-decorating/pizza/movie night and it was a lot of fun (until Malia started puking...which conveniently happened right at the end of the movie when the party was just ending).

Here are the results of our fun family day:


And now for the tree decorating. Do you all remember the Charlie Brown-like tree that Joelle picked out last year? In case you don't feel like clicking back to that post, here is the picture again in all its glory:

This year I didn't want another tree like that, so we managed to persuade the girls to pick a more fuller, 'normal'-looking tree. I was happy with the final product.



The girls did the majority of the decorating again, so all of the beads ended up on the bottom half of the tree. And just like last year, Malia's balls all got hung in one big clump. And that is how they are staying!

The finished product looks pretty good -- although we need more decorations (and lights...preferably colored ones next year). We haven't bought any more decorations though because we know that as the years go by we will be getting more and more hand-made ones from the girls. I can't wait to have our tree full of ornaments made by my sweet girls.



And now our house is adorned with beautiful decorations to remind us of the holiday season that is directly upon us. It makes the house look more crowded and cluttered -- and I know when the time comes to take them all down, I will feel like I have a huge, clean house -- but I am enjoying the short period of time that my house is full of this festive decor.

14 comments:

Erin said...

My tree has been up for a week and half, but not decorated! It has lights on it, so it looks pretty. Maybe tomorrow!
Love your family pic.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

What? No pictures of the puking? LOL!

My tree looks a good bit likes yours in the sense that there are bigs clumps of ornaments around the bottom of the tree. It took all of my willpower not to move them to a more aesthetically pleasing location, but I decided that I would rather leave it the way Grace decorated it.

Merry Christmas!

Pam said...

We put our tree up in November- I do like seeing it there. But I'm still feeling a bit grinchy this year again. I really need to get in the holiday spirit. I jut mailed a card out to you today- I hope it gets there in time. I have no idea how long international mail takes and I hope I put enough postage on it!

amy said...

beautiful..seriously only 16 days

andrea said...

what a beautiful tree! lovely! i'm starting to be sad that we only have 16 more days....it's been way too stressful around here lately to appreciate this season. i love your pictures and god for your for requesting a fuller tree...so so pretty!

PamJ said...

16 days is too soon!
Love the tree :)
thank you for no pukey pictures!

Kelly said...

I had to laugh t the "all the balls on the bottom" thing. Lyndsy has an advent wreath where everyday she gets a new little ball to hang on her little tree. She has moved them so many times already and has been grouping them by color. BUT everytime they are at the bottom and on day 7, they were all on the same branch! I love that you let the girls do most of the decorating! So much more meaningful. I may let L do that this year.

Kellan said...

Oh, I love your decorations and your tree and I love, love, love that Charlie Brown tree from last year - tee hee - what a sweet memory!

Take care and enjoy your holidays - Kellan

Margo said...

I love it!! And, I love that you let the kids do their thing and leave it that way! I particularly love the "clump". It actually made me chuckle out loud. Our tree still holds decorations made back to Kindergarten and elementary days ~ precious! You will LOVE these pictures years from now and will be so thankful that you didn't insist on perfection. ENJOY the season!

ValleyGirl said...

Isn't it weird how in the beginning, when you put up the decorations, the house almost feels cluttered, but once it's all over and the decorations are packed away again, the house almost feels naked?! I hate putting them away! I love your little nativity scene ~ man, I need to get me one of those.

Louise said...

Love your pictures and I love your tree, mine is so full now from years of the kids making stuff and receiving a new ornament every year and I love it....soon yours will be like that too, and yeah for you not redecorating after the kids went to bed ;)(or maybe you did?...LOL)
HUGS!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

You're such a nice mom! :)

The kids decorate under my supervision - with very helpful suggestions given by their supervisor. I did let them stand on the bar stools to reach higher on the tree though!

The advantage of the Charlie Brown tree - doesn't clutter up the living room as much :)

Rebecca said...

What a fun night! Lydia was putting several ornaments onto one branch too, but I moved them. Christmas is definitely coming quick! I need to pause everything for a day so I can get stuff done.

Jamie said...

I LOVE that you let the girls decorate and left it like that! After all, you have kids and the rest of your house probably reflects that somewhat, why shouldn't the tree? My kids helped us, but I moved things around a little bit after. I think next year I might just leave it!