Friday, December 12, 2008

my little miss malia

After getting many mis-pronounciations of my youngest daughter's name in the 3 years of her life, I realized that many of my blogging friends might not know the actual way to pronounce her name. Thus, the poll on my sidebar.

I was happy to discover that 18 out of the 20 votes were correct -- Malia's name is pronounced like Maria -- only with an "L" instead of the "R". But I have gotten all of the other pronunciations listed there. I think our way is the prettiest though, don't you? It's a Hawaiian name; the Hawaiian form of Mary.


Ever since Les and I discovered this name, I have been completely in love with it. How did we discover it? you might ask. Well, truth be told, it was the name of one of the contestants on the reality show, Fear Factor. Les is the one who suggested it, and I immediately loved it.

He did play a nasty trick on me though. I was already pregnant with Malia when we found the name, and we had decided that if we had a girl that would be her name. We both loved it. Then one day, awhile later, Les told me that he wasn't too keen on that name afterall. We would have to come up with something else.

I was devastated, as now no other name would compare to the beautiful name Malia. I tried to convince him otherwise, but he was sure: if we had a second daughter, her name would not be Malia. We would have to go back to the drawing board.

So I pored over the baby name books again, trying to fall in love with an other name as much as Malia. But it was to no avail. No other name would do.

Then one evening -- like w-e-e-k-s later -- Les was touching my belly and feeling our unborn child kick, wiggle & squirm. He leaned close to talk to my belly and said, "I wonder if you're going to be a Braden (the name we had picked out if she would've been a boy) or a Malia."

I looked up at him and said, "What?! MALIA??"

He grinned at me and said, "Yeah. I was just joking the whole time. Malia it is."

As happy as I was that I would get to name her Malia afterall -- I couldn't believe that he put me through that. He's got some nerve doing that to an emotional pregnant woman. :)

10 comments:

Leeann said...

I'm glad I was pronouncing this right in my head the whole time! :)

Pam said...

it is a beautiful name! I can't believe after that story that Les lived to see her born :)

Kelly said...

I thought we had all our names picked out for Jillian too and on the way to the hopital my husband says..what do you think about Katy. I still don't know if he was joking but I was mad. Jillian was his choice and I loved it but wasn't sure. It had taken me a little to be positive, and then he says that!

I love the name Malia! I had never heard it before your daughter. It is not a common name but beautiful. I love that.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Since it didn't happen to me, I think that story's pretty funny. :)

He definitely had some nerve all right!

Kathy and Carl said...

It's cool to hear the story of how her name was picked and how your crazy husband tormented you during your pregnancy...ARG! I think her name is beautiful!

common mom said...

Oh ya - he was totally walking on thin ice!!!

I love the name . . . and I've been saying it right in my head the whole time :-) It is a beautiful name . . . nice and soft.

Roo said...

what a tease!!!! i do love her name. very pretty, just like the little princess that she is.

xo

melanie said...

Wow!! Les is one brave man to mess like that with a pregnant lady!

I've been pronouncing Malia right. Yay!

Joanna said...

That's a pretty name.

And your Hubs should indeed suffer for that trama. :)

Pamela said...

wow! I would have been so mad!