Thursday, January 29, 2009

it will be okay...don't panic...it will be okay...don't panic...!!!

This is what I have to keep telling myself. So why am I telling myself not to panic? Well, I'll tell you why....

Because today I finished my last can of Pepsi. And I don't have any plans to re-fill my stock anytime soon.

!!!

Yes, it's true. I have decided to bite the bullet. No -- I am NOT giving up Pepsi. But I am trying to keep it out of my house for awhile. I still give myself full permission to indulge in the deliciously satisfying liquid gold beverage from time to time if I am at work, out to eat, or at someone else's house.

But by constantly having an on-hand supply...well, I was enabling my Pepsi addiction and letting it get w-a-y out of control. If I thought I was bad before -- these last few months have been even worse, with me indulging in 1-2 cans a day (and I had given up the Diet version too, so this was all the 'real deal').

I know that lately my Pepsi drinking had turned more into a habit than desire. Sure, I still love the beverage -- and I always will -- and I definitely have a weakness for it. But by always having 'a cold one' available to me 24 hours a day, it just made me feel like drinking it all the time because...well, just because I could.

I finally came to this realization when I noticed myself leaving unfinished Pepsi cans on the counter or table from time to time. This has never happened to me before, but suddenly it was becoming more the rule than the exception.

And that's when I knew. Something had to be done.

So I think -- "think" being the key word here -- that I may have come up with a good solution, at least for now. I'm not banning Pepsi from my life ('cause that would be just stupid), but I am trying to control how often I am around said beverage.

Here's hoping for a good success rate -- and possibly even a few inches off my waist!

14 comments:

jackie said...

I am in full support, Andrea!!! KEEP IT OUT!!!

ValleyGirl said...

You can do it! Keep track of how much money you're NOT spending on Pepsi and treat yourself to some new earrings ~ or another scarf!! It's all about REPLACING the bad habit with a good one!

PamJ said...

and you are doing this WITHOUT your husband around for the next two days?? you are CRAZY! you know where to find me if you need a getaway, or even an outing with the kiddos...

Amanda said...

you can do it.........good luck!

common mom said...

I don't think Pepsi is a "bad" habit . . . I mean seriously, when you think about it . . . cocaine is a BAD habit, smoking is a BAD habit, overdrinking is a BAD habit, driving recklessly is a BAD habit . . . drinking too much Pepsi? A habit - yes . . . a bad one, not in relation to other habits readily available :-)

With that said - I've done the same thing . . . I don't have it on hand. If I want it, I have to be out or drive to the gas station to get one. This plan works like a charm for me! And always has . . . now if I could just get hubby to stop buying potato chips, and licorice, and ice cream . . .

I wish you luck!

Jamie said...

Way to go! I know your struggles; I am HUGE into pop but while pregnant have chosen to cut out as much caffeine as possible. It's been EXTREMELY difficult, especially since my DEAR husband still requests having Coke in the house. Must admit that I have caved! But I don't indulge as much. And I know I still could have Root Beer or Sprite, but those happen to be my least favourite!

Anyway, good for you! You can do it!

Kelly said...

My hubby requires soda in the house so I started buying the generic. It satisfies him but I don't like the taste. So whenever I try it, it's so disappointing that I avoid it.That helps too.

andrea said...

you can do this! one can of pop is almost half of your daily caloric intake...that's just not healthy for any body, inside or out! and the money savings may be an overnight shopping trip...you know how fun that'll be! now that's worth it, right?

Kathy and Carl said...

My heart skips a beat for you because I know how much of a thing this is for you. Well, glad that you've had some food for thought lately. I think you've made a good, healthy decision. And I LOVE your sis-in-laws idea. Totally treat yourself to stuff with the $$ you save. You deserve it!

amy said...

you can do it! I need to get rid of Coke Zero once and for all

Leeann said...

way to go Andrea! You totally need to add a ticker to your page that counts UP, so we know how long it's been since your last drink. LOL

Roo said...

you can totally do it andrea!!!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Keeping it out of the house is a great way to curb the consumption that's for sure!

Joanna said...

It's all about balance, baby. So may you find what works for you.