Friday, January 16, 2009

no vacancy

Joelle is in this stage where she questions e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. And not just that annoying 2-year-old "Why?" stage. But she wants to dig deeper and figure out the real reasons behind everything. Surface answers don't work for her; she wants the real deal.

Anyway -- so on this one particular occasion earlier this week, we were talking about the flashing red lights on the back of school buses. I was explaining to her that everytime a school bus stops -- hers included -- the red lights flash and a little stop sign pops out on the side.

I told her that this means that all of the cars, coming from both directions, have to stop.

"But why do they all have to stop, Mom?"

I explained to her that it was to protect the children walking on and off the bus. To make sure that nobody got driven over by other vehicles.


Joelle: Like me!

Me: Yes, sweetie -- like you.

Joelle: Then you'd have to have another baby.

Me: What?! Why...??

Joelle (very matter-of-factly): Well, what would I do with my room?

Oh right. 'Cause that would be our main concern if something tragic and unthinkable like that would happen to our precious first-born. We would o-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y want to reproduce again as quickly as possible so that we wouldn't be at a loss as to what to do with the vacant bedroom.

Silly girl. If only she knew how ir-replaceable she really is....

7 comments:

andrea said...

goodness! thankfully, we don't think like our 4 year olds! she's a smart kids though!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

They always have the most interesting ideas and comments about death. At least Malia didn't pipe up with idea of how SHE could use the room!!

Xandra

Pam said...

oh to see the world through the eyes of a child again! how sweet and simple their view of the world can be.

Kathy and Carl said...

What a funny conversation. Man, kids never cease to amaze you with the way they think.

Don Mills Diva said...

I don't think any of them realize just how irreplaceable they are...:-)

Kelly said...

Kids are so funny. Lyndsy keeps talking about our next baby like I'm pregnant now. OUr families are starting to think I'm hiding something. I'm NOT!

melanie said...

There is no way they can understand until they have a child of their own. It's not something you can comprehend or put into words. I remember after having Hailey thinking, "WOW! My parents really love me." You know it, but you just don't understand it.