Sunday, February 22, 2009

like mother, like daughter

Joelle is like her mother in a lot of ways. From looks to personality -- she's my mini-me all the way. So it shouldn't have surprised me that she's been begging to get her beautiful hair cut short.

For months now she's been asking for short hair and I have denied her request. "You have such long, thick, beautiful hair" I would tell her. "And you love it when I do fancy things in it." I remind her that if she gets her hair cut, it could be a long time until she would get some of those fancy things in her hair again. She can decide to get it cut one day, but she can't decide to just have it long again one day; she will need to wait until it grows out.

"Yes, I know" she keeps telling me, frustrated that I'm not just giving in and letting her get her way.

When she asked again this weekend, I was torn. Part of me was excited to do it -- afterall, I'm a risk-taker when it comes to my hair (often sitting down at a new hair dresser that I've never been to before and saying "Do whatever you want", reasoning to myself that it's only hair). So part of me is proud of the fact that she's the same way.

But the mother in me was having a hard time with the fact that she wanted to rid herself of those beautiful, curly, thick blonde locks.

So after turning her down flat for the last few months -- I finally gave in yesterday morning when the girls had hair cuts scheduled.

After my friend cut the first big, long chunk out of her hair and handed it to me in a zip-lock bag to take home with me, I got all choked up and said "Oh Joelle -- what did we just do?" She just giggled at me and said "Mom...you're crying!"

She was so cute though -- she couldn't wipe the huge grin off her face the whole time it was getting cut. And since "the incident" she can't stop touching it, looking in the mirror, grinning, and showing/telling anybody she sees. And she is terribly excited to go to school tomorrow to show her teacher and friends.

So...here are the before and after pictures from 3 different angles. So far I have had different responses on the new cut -- everybody thinks it's adorable, but some people say it makes her look younger, and others say it makes her look older. What do you think?

I can't tell yet...so far I'm still in shock that I actually allowed this to happen. :)



14 comments:

melanie said...

I absolutely LOVE it! She is beautiful!

ValleyGirl said...

VERY CUTE! I always think shorter hair makes them look older somehow ~ more mature. I thought that with both of our girls, too.

Pam said...

Well, whatever it makes her look- she is beautiful! She is gorgeous!

andrea said...

she looks beautiful! what a nice cut! i'm sure she loves it. I do!

Roo said...

look at that SMILE! :)

Kelly said...

I can't really say older or younger. But I can say she looks adorable!

Mamarazzi said...

she looks DARLING! it is going to grow out soooo beautifully! i cried the first time j cut her long locks off and now she cuts 12 inches every summer. it's like cutting it makes it grow faster or something. just feed the girl lots of calcium...it will be long again before you know it! ;)

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I don't know about younger or older, but it sure is adorable!!!

Xandra

Pamela said...

*sigh* I just went through the same thing with Kez. She chopped her hair to her shoulders and it wasn't even easier than when she did it after Pam and Rick's wedding. However, she does like it and if Joelle likes it then I guess that's all that matters right?

Jamie said...

She looks older! Very cute!

common mom said...

It's soooooo cute! I love it! And she's just got great hair no matter how it is.

My daughter did the same thing a month ago - growing it growing it growing it. Insisted on getting it cut. So I took her. I was surprised when she cut off 7 inches!!! It's so friggin' cute, though - almost as short as Joelle's :-) And Joelle obviously LOVES her new haircut - that's really all that matters, right? :-)

TammyIsBlessed said...

It looks great!!!

Emma & Sophia are getting their hair cut at school just before spring break for Cuts for Cancer. Sophia's been wanting her hair cut for awhile, but I keep reminder her of the kid she can help by waiting. So, soon her cousins will be sporting similar do's!

Louise said...

VERY VERY CUTE!

Leeann said...

Joelle - I think you look beautiful! Just like your mommy!