Thursday, February 12, 2009

MAXed out

Yesterday I had the pleasure of babysitting my 3-year-old niece Elliott and 1-year-old nephew Max. Their lucky parents are basking in the glorious Mexican sun (as are most people this year, it seems), and the kids are staying with my parents for the week. However, yesterday I went in to the city to spend the day with them so my Mom could go to work have a day off.

Now, I'm no stranger to 3-year-olds -- but when it comes to a 1-year-old...well, let's just say it feels like it's been a long time. Here are some things that I learned (or remembered) while spending the day with my dear little Max:

1) Doing things with one hand while holding the clingy child in your other arm is just like riding a bike -- you never forget how to do it.

2) Having your day entirely revolve around such a young child is a bit challenging -- baby gates, keeping all doors closed at all times, child-proof cupboard locks, warming up bottles, changing diapers, etc.

3) Cuddling with a small child who you love so much is the most amazing feeling E.V.E.R.

4) At the end of a day with a busy 1-year-old, I am ready to c-r-a-s-h!

5) And it's all worth it!

6) But...it re-enforced the fact that I am done having children. I'd rather just enjoy them in smaller doses and pass them off to someone else at the end of the day. I've done my time with 1-year-olds and am now doing my time with 3- and 5-year olds (although it's debatable as to which one is more difficult!).

Bottom Line: I had a great day with my sweet little Max -- and Elliott too, of course -- and I'd do it again in a heart-beat (just don't tell my sister that...hee hee)!

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Sounds like you had fun. Welcome to my life. I'm willing to take advantage of your nanny skills anytime!

Kelly said...

Sounds like a typical day in my life with a 4 yr. old and an almost 1 yr. old. Where is my Mexican vacation? hee hee! Glad you enjoyed your time with him.