Monday, February 9, 2009

maybe...

Maybe it's because I'm going on my 3rd week of being a weekday-single-mother.

Maybe it's because I am also juggling a part-time job on top of it.

Maybe it's because this part-time job I am juggling is like a haven for me -- a break from the crazy that goes on in my home -- and lately I have had the added stress of switching (or completely missing) shifts due to weather, illness or child-care stresses.

Maybe it's because I have a dear friend who has been suffering from extreme back pain over the last several months and I couldn't help take away the pain (who finally had her surgery this past week by the way, and it was a huge success...phew!!).

Maybe it's because another one of my dear friends is moving 2 provinces away in a month and a half and that will leave a hole in my life that I want to pretend won't actually happen.

Yes, maybe it is all those things -- and more that I just won't get into right now -- that are dragging me down and making me feel less than happy these days.

But what if...

Maybe -- just maybe -- it's because my hubby has a great job where he can enjoy his work (except for the long hours away from his wife & kids) and provide for his family.

Maybe -- just maybe -- it's because I have been blessed to be able to keep my foot in the door at my job until I can work full-time again when the kids are in school.

Maybe -- just maybe -- it's because I am blessed to have a boss who is flexible with my hours and lets me work things out on my end that suits the needs of me and my family.

Maybe -- just maybe -- it's because God wants to remind me that even when things don't make sense (like the situation with my friend and her back injury), that He is in control.

Maybe -- just maybe -- it's because I am incredibly blessed to have so many friends and God is reminding me to not take them for granted; but rather to show them how much I love them and appreciate them on a regular basis in case one day they won't be a regular part of my life anymore.

Yes, maybe -- just maybe -- it is all those things and many more that should put a smile on my face and remind me that I really have a wonderful life full of many blessings.

Then why isn't it as easy as it sounds?

11 comments:

Kelly said...

If you get the answer to that question please pass it on. I think like that a lot too. I get down and then try to think of how wonderful things really are but man oh man is it tough!

Dawn said...

I haven't been over in a long time --

Kristen is learning the ropes day by day this deal of parenting alone. It's tough!

I love the post about Malia learning to say her F's. Great!

Today's post - well done.

melanie said...

I am the same way. I get so down so easily. Then I stop and think about the positive side and realize it's not quite so bad.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Keep dwelling on the positive - and get those praise tunes pumping!

Maybe put together a little "pamper me" bag that you can pull out - foot lotion, music, candles, and a treat of course! :)

Pam said...

when you figure it out- let me know. I find being a mommy the hardest thing in the world. I know it is wonderful and a blessing- but it is just so hard so often! I'm glad you have so many blessings in your life!

ValleyGirl said...

I guess because we're human. While we're pretty amazing at coping and adapting, it isn't in our nature to rejoice while struggling to do so. It is amazing though, when we shift our perspective to look beyond rather than at ourselves how our attitudes change.

It's only a season, Andrea. ALL of it is only for a season.

andrea said...

what a great post! we don't have answers for everything that's for sure! There is a silver lining when we look for it! You have been so blessed but that doesn't mean it's easy! Keep your focus on Him, my love and He will give you the strength you need!

Kathy and Carl said...

Oh, sweetie. I feel for you. Juggling all that, it's hard and so I pray that you will find rest and calmness in the midst of it all. Good to think positive, I pray those thoughts are the dominant of the day. Love you! Hang in there!

common mom said...

Ya know - sometimes it's just difficult. You KNOW all is well and you KNOW you should be smiling and happy and you KNOW it's all for some reason or another and you KNOW you just need to go with the flow and see what happens next. Yet, sometimes you just can't drag out that smile.

Leeann said...

Whenever I have a bad day...
I come here...
and I feel better.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I couldn't agree more. When I am on my single Mom days (when my hubby flies) FAR TOO OFTEN, my patience grows thin fast! In those times I find a good game of hide (sans the seek) works well! :)