Tuesday, February 17, 2009

you can run...but you can't hide

It happens to all of us eventually. We turn into our mothers -- at least in part. You know when you tell yourself when you're younger, "I will never say that to my kids!" and you genuinely believe it ('cause, you know -- you know best and all...).

One of the things that used to drive me c-r-a-z-y was when I was hungry and wanting a snack. My mom would suggest all sorts of things that I could have -- like an apple, banana, some crackers, etc. I would turn down all of her suggestions, only to hear her say:

"Well, then I guess you can't really be that hungry."

Oh, that would get my panties tied up in a knot. YES, I was hungry...just not for that stuff. I didn't want to eat something healthy...I wanted something like chips or chocolate or something.

Well, what happens now when my girls want a snack? They do often jump at the chance to have healthy snacks, but there are times when I can give them countless of suggestions to which they say no to. And what do they hear in response?

"Well, then I guess you can't really be that hungry."

Cue the knot-tied panties....(I don't think they like that response any better than I did!)

It will happen to them eventually too -- no matter how much they insist that they will never be like their mother. They can try to run, too...but the mother in them will find them. It always does.

(In my mother's defense, it really is a compliment to be turning out like her -- she's the best Mother out there, and if I can be even 1/2 as good of a mother as she is, I'll be doing great!)

11 comments:

Pam said...

I'm working on not turning into my fahter! Isn't that a strange twist on things!

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, I totally notice when I stay stuff to my girls that used to drive me nuts!! I guess we heard it so often, it's just an automatic response! I use that same one and a few others that used to drive me nuts as a kid: "Don't let it bother you." or "You'll just have to change your 'wanter'" or "But if you always got everything you wanted, nothing would ever be a treat anymore."

Ah, Andrea, look at us ~ we've become so stinkin' WISE!

Leeann said...

Hmmm....I'm trying very hard not to turn into my parents...

Jenn said...

So, so true. I caught myself saying another famous line when the kids weren't listening and doing as I was asking "I'm not talking just to hear myself speak!".

andrea said...

this totally made me laugh! so so true! and I do agree that you've got one amazing mother! and yes, you are more like her than you realize!

Jen said...

LOL! Totally true. I, like you had the BEST mom in the world, but there are some things I swore I would NEVER do that she did! Yet, I find myself doing them more and more lately :)

Kelly said...

Lyndsy is a huge snacker too! She would snack 24/7 if I would let her. So I'm sure that statement has come out of my mouth at some point.

Kathy and Carl said...

That's just funny! I would hate that my mom would insist that we use the same cup again if we only had water. I always thought she was being naggy....until I have become a dishwasherless mother with three kids that are constantly drinking, and then getting another drink with another cup! I can't keep doing dishes...so I have the one cup for water rule....sigh!

Dawn said...

What is equally amazing is watching your daughter say the things you said to her!

Pamela said...

Somehow the words.."when I was your age....." have come out of my mouth more times than I would like to admit.

common mom said...

Oh we allll think we'll never be our parents! But then WHAM! It happens :-) And it's really not that awful, is it ;-)

I love to catch my mom grinning behind my back when she sees me say things to my kids that she did to me.