Sunday, March 29, 2009

happily ever after

Last week Joelle and Malia were sitting on the couch watching "Sleeping Beauty" for the first time. I was working in the kitchen when out of the blue Joelle said: "It's almost over, Mommy."

"How do you know? I thought you had never seen this before...?"

"I haven't," she said. "But I know it's almost over because they're going to kiss."

Ah, yes -- the Happily Ever After routine. I wonder at what point they discover that happily ever after isn't quite as simple as just getting "true love's first kiss." That happily ever after also requires daily effort and responsiblity. That it involves heart-ache and conflicts and obstacles. That it means some days you choose to love even when you really don't feel like it. That it is not all dancing at fancy balls and riding off into the sunset.

When do they go from being innocent and naive to being "in the know"? I think it will happen all too soon for my liking.

5 comments:

Kathy and Carl said...

Ah, yes, that blissful innocence. I love it that even reading it in a book "Almanzo leans in to kiss Laura..." Joel and Kezia blush and giggle!

andrea said...

well stated! To be happily ever after is a lot of work but so worth it! Interesting how our lil ones know when a movie is over...very sweet though!
...and Kathy...you are reading Almanzo and Laura to your kids, they must just love it...i thought that series was too old for mine. I'll go dig out my series today!
Have a great day living in your happily ever after Andrea

Louise said...

So true, it happens all to soon!!

Pam said...

I still wish for that fantasy happily-ever-after ending....though you are right- it is much harder than it looks!

Sheila said...

So cute! Sometimes its sad that we had to grow up...why can't life stay so blissfully innocent and simple???