Sunday, April 12, 2009

God's odds

Spider Solitaire (on the computer, of course) is one of my weaknesses. I can win the easy version (one suit) with both hands tied behind my back, and the moderate version (two suits) is a fairly easy accomplishment by now too. So I tend to focus my time and energy on the difficult version -- which contains all 4 suits.

It is definitely a challenge and it keeps me coming back for more...and more...and more. In fact, according to my stats, I have played the advanced version a high total of 535 times.

Notice I said I have played the game 535 times.

The times I have actually won the game? It's a measly number...like we're talking single-digits.

Okay -- four times.

Yup, that's right. I have only won the advanced version of this form of solitaire 4 times out of the 535 attempts. That's certainly not a very high success rate. Yet for some reason, I just can't give up. I always am certain that the next time I play, it will be another win.

I just don't give up.

Do you know how grateful I am that my God never gives up on me? If He was keeping statistics on me, would I only succeed every 4 out of 535 attempts? Would I let Him down the other 531 times?

I sure hope the statistic is not that bad -- but even if it was, guess what? He wouldn't give up on me. And He wouldn't give up on you either.

And Jesus has the scars on His hands to prove it.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Easter Andrea! Great Easter post- thanks for the reminder!

andrea said...

that's a lot of playing a game with no wins...but you put it into perspective! what a way to think about my life, my mistakes and His love that never gives up...ever!

Jamie said...

Another GREAT analogy! Thanks!

Louise said...

Amen so good!
Happy Easter :)

Rebecca said...

Spider Solitaire used to keep me busy/stagnant on the computer for too many hours. I'd sneak it in at work and play when I was bored. Of course that was before I entered the blogosphere ;)

toddler beds said...

I'm not sure if I have played over 500 times of spider solitaire but I know it's a lot. And like you the times that I have won is measley. Sigh!