Tuesday, April 14, 2009

mind your mittens

Last Monday while I was at work, Joelle spent the afternoon at our neighbor's house after school like she does every week. Her and Emily had spent some time playing outside in the in-between stages of our spring weather -- where it's mild enough to have melting snow but cool enough to still be wearing ski pants and mittens.

When I got home, Jenn warned me that I would want to wring out Joelle's mittens, as they were quite heavily soaked with moisture. She left them on our front porch for me to deal with -- but with the busy-ness of just getting home from work and needing to feed the girls and start the bedtime routine shortly after...well, let's just say I forgot about them outside.

The next morning when Joelle was getting ready to head out the door to catch the school bus, she was looking for her mittens. We remembered that they had been left outside, but of course since the temperatures were still going below freezing over nights, and given how drastically soaked those mittens were...they were quite frozen. Like, we're talking so frozen that they were stuck to the porch.

Oops!

I had to leave them attached to the porch all morning until they warmed up enough to me to chisel them off of the deck. They were still frozen to each other, but at least I could finally bring them inside, where I put them on one of the heat registers for the rest of the day and the night. By the next morning they were all thawed -- but they were still heavy with moisture. They needed even more time to fully dry off before they could be used again. It was a long process.

If only I had wrung them out at the beginning like I should've.

Unfortunately, I have a relationship situation that is very comparable to these mittens. Where I should've immediately dealt with an issue instead of leaving it and therefore letting it 'freeze to the porch.'

By not attending to it when I should have, it sent things on a downward spiral. The issue has now been 'chiseled off the porch' and is currently 'laying on a heat register' to thaw itself out. After the ice thaws, who knows how long it will still take for the heavy moisture to completely dry up again?

My fear is that there is so much moisture in this pair of mittens that it will never dry up -- no matter how much I wring it out. And even if they do eventually dry up...will they ever be as comfortable of a fit as they once were?

7 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

As someone who's dealt with some frozen, soaking mittens herself, I think it IS possible to get them back to where they once were ~ but only if both parties work equally at the thawing process. I'm right now enjoying the warmth and coziness of a couple pairs of mittens that I once thought would be lost forever.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Great encouragement Tammi!!

You know Andrea, you really do find analogies in everything! LOL They're always good ones too.

I'm gonna pray for those mittens to be a better fit than ever before!

Pam said...

I'm sorry for whatever it is you are dealing with. I hope those mittens dry out quickly and fits perfectly!

Krista Nicole said...

Good metaphor! If they are good mittens they will eventually dry out hopefully live long and keep thy hands warm! I admire your perseverance!

jackie said...

What a great analogy, Andrea. I've been thinking and praying for you.

Joanna said...

Well said! Hope it goes better than what you thought.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I love this metaphor Andrea, truly. And I'd listen to ValleyGirl, since you Canadians are so wise and strong (you have to be to survive that weather)!