Wednesday, May 6, 2009

hi, my name is andrea and i'm a picky eater

(Don't forget to come visit me at my new blog -- Mission: Possible)

It's true.

There are many things that my taste buds just do not appreciate. Onions, sour cream, mayo, peppers, broccoli, onions, scalloped potatoes, fish (or any seafood, really), onions, milk, mustard, egg salad, potato salad, green beans just to name a few...oh -- and did I mention onions?

When I was a kid, I always had to try things and finish what was on my plate whether I liked it or not. I paid my dues. Now, as an adult, I like to think that I have earned the right to stay away from the foods/drinks/condiments that I just do not enjoy.

Recently, I was part of a conversation where parents were saying that now that they have young children, they are having to stomach some of their not-so-favorite foods so as not to influence their children's reactions. They thought that if they let on that they didn't like a particular food, their children would take on that attitude of said food without giving it a fair shot.

My reflections on that are a little bit different. Yes, I think it's important for kids to not only eat healthy -- but to give things a try that they might not ordinarily choose for themselves. Whether they like it or not. They do need to make up their own minds about things, and not just conveniently claim someone else's opinions as their own.

But why should I suffer...again?

My kids know that I do not like milk, peppers, onions, etc. But I tell them that not everybody has to like everything. If we were all the same and all liked the same things, it would be boring. Everybody needs to decide for themselves if they like something or not.

Yes, it may sound like a cop-out just so that I don't have to endure barely-keeping-myself-from-throwing-up swallowing...but I also think that honesty is important. Why pretend that I like something if I really don't? It doesn't make me a bad person because I don't like green beans.

However, I also want to teach my kids respect -- so if we are over at someone's house and there are green peppers in the pizza buns...I will do my best to choke them down. Unless of course it's at my mom's place, in which case I would pick them out -- actually, in which case she would make separate ones for me and my brother-in-law who don't eat peppers!

(Hey -- I may be a grown woman...but if someone wants to go to extra measures to make sure I will enjoy the meal that they have prepared for me, I'm not going to stop them!)

Thankfully my kids are not overly picky eaters like their mother. Joelle especially is a very good eater. Some of her favorite snacks are red peppers (or any veggie actually...cooked lima beans are another favorite!). I want them to have an open mind, but I also want to give them the right to decide that they don't like something.

That doesn't mean I won't force them to eat it, though. And when I'm asked why they have to and I don't, I simply look at them and say:

"Well, I had to when I was a kid!"

9 comments:

Pam said...

I have lots of foods I don't like too- I think it is just a part of life!

Jamie said...

I like your honesty. I don't think I'm terribly picky, I like everything you don't except seafood, but my husband sure is picky!!! Makes it really hard to cook, but I guess if you're the one cooking it's a lot easier! And your thoughts about how you're teaching your daughters sound really good.

Krista Nicole said...

I'm a pretty picky eater too. Pancakes would be my #1 enemy. I have had to choke those suckers down at camp way too many times to be a good example to my campers (plus sometimes they were the only thing for breakfast).

I never knew that we didn't like many of the same foods. Well onions, I am okay with but am allergic to. But that still doesn't stop my mother-in-law from putting them in things even though she knows. I spend the first 10 minutes at their house picking tiny cut onions out of my food. Anyways, this was about you... not me.

Picky or not I still like you.

andrea said...

...and how about white iceberg lettuce, raisins in foods??? kidding! i was thinking about foods I love...now. I used to hate tuna, lemon, refried beans, red onions, almonds, cabbage, certain multi grain breads and now they are part of my weekly planning. I haven't figured out how that works, but I have decided that some change is good! i am teaching my kids to say 'it's not their favorite' rather than ' I don't like it'...sounds more pleasant! And yes, there are some things I am so thrilled that I will never have to eat again now that I'm in adulthood!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your honesty.....Love your blog.

I hope you will stop by and visit me. The May give away has started....and next week I will be blogging from Disney World

Sheila said...

I like your thoughts on letting your kids decide. I always make sure that Cohen will at least try new foods before he writes it off...but because he's the world's pickiest eater he'll write if off!!!

Kelly said...

I'm pretty picky too so I totally get it!

Tereza said...

those were some good thoughts. I have a picky eater:)

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.