Tuesday, June 9, 2009

relationships 101

Have you ever tried to keep a relationship going that's only one-sided? You know the kind -- where only one person is putting in the effort. It's next to impossible.

You can't make a relationship work if only one person initiates getting together. Or if only one person phones to check in on someone but never the other way around. Or if only one person shares personal information, but the other one keeps everything to themselves. Or if the only time you actually do end up making the initiative is when you are in a bind and just need help.

I can tell you right now that that's not much of a relationship. And it's not very likely to succeed.

So what makes me think that my relationship with God is going to to be any different? I am ashamed at the lack of effort I put into my relationship with my Heavenly Father. With my Creator. The One who loves me unconditionally.

I hear Him knocking on the door. I hear the 'phone' ring. I constantly get 'emails' from Him. But when do I knock on His door? Do I even know His phone number? How often do I reply to His emails?

And do I ever just sit down and visit with Him about everyday things, or do I just wait until I'm in a crisis and then expect Him to come to my rescue? How often do I really take the time to sit down and learn more about Him?

Relationships are a two-way street. That's just the way it is. And if I truly want to have a relationship with God...

...I need to get off of this one-way!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I have been feeling that same way lately, thanks for sharing. When I think of all the things i do make time for in my day i am ashamed at my excuses for not spending the time with God He deserves.

Alicia Friesen said...

It's so true, Andrea! But, it's sometimes so terribly hard to make the effort. I KNOW it will be worth it, you know, spending time in the company of the ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS AND LOVES ME COMPLETELY. And yet, it takes such a specific effort to get that two-way relationship going! Yikes. But, nothing good comes without an effort, right?

ValleyGirl said...

You'd be more than welcome to join the "True Woman" Bible study!

I highly recommend going through it (or any study, for that matter) with at least one other person you can physically meet with on a regular basis, but I happen to know of someone in your area who's said she was interested too...

Actively pursuing a relationship with God IS a challenge, no doubt about it, but the rewards are guaranteed. It IS worth the effort.

You are constantly in my prayers and I look forward to being able to chat in person ~ just the two of us ~ real soon!!!

Jamie said...

Great thoughts--so true! I feel so often that I need more of God in my life, and I also know it's all up to me because he's just waiting for me.

TammyIsBlessed said...

You said it!

andrea said...

what a great analogy. so true...and I've been a pathetic friend!

Kathy and Carl said...

You know, I was feeling a bit ripped off about being the person always giving and giving and giving...until I humbly realized that God is probably pretty disappointed when I take and take and take and not engage in a two way relationship. Thank you for these timely and important reminders!

Sheila said...

That is an awesome post! So very true!

Roo said...

aaaaaaaaaa-men!