Thursday, June 25, 2009

yield to oncoming traffic

I am generally a rule-follower. For the most part. I have never been one to carry the label of a rebel -- in fact, "goody two-shoes" would be a more accurate description.

Just the other day, while out on the open road, I noticed a truck came to a complete stop at a yield sign. Even when there was nobody coming for miles (okay, I was coming -- but not in the direction that would've impacted the driver's decision). Now, even being someone who is normally all about the rules, I have to admit that I thought that was taking things a bit to the extreme. The sign says to YIELD, not come to a complete stop -- especially when nobody else is around.

I got to thinking that in my life, I tend to come to complete stops at yield signs -- even when it doesn't particularly make sense; when there is no legitimate reason to. I think I yield too much to other people and their wishes/desires even when I have the right to inch ahead on my journey after doing my appropriate 'shoulder checks'.

Maybe this analogy will be a little far-fetched (and by all means, I do think it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to driving -- especially after the fatal accident that occurred in a nearby community just the other day)...but sometimes I need to be a bit more of an agressive 'driver' in my own life.

Yes, it's good to be careful and look out for other people's feelings before driving full steam ahead. And being cautious isn't necessarily a bad idea in almost any area of life. But there is a line.

I don't need to go to be that overly cautious -- or even paranoid -- driver and sit at a yield sign for 5 seconds at a complete stop when there is nobody around as far as the eye can see. And by the same token, I don't need to put my life at a complete stand-still either just to make somebody happy or to make sure that everybody likes me.

I guess lately I just feel like I over-apologize to people, or that I allow people to put a guilt trip on my shoulders, even when it's not really justifiable. I feel like I 'cave' too easily, or just go way out of my way to bring peace to a situation. And although bringing peace to a situation, or going out of my way to make someone happy can sometimes be a good thing -- and the right thing -- but with my sensitive nature and people-pleasing personality, I can tend to go a bit overboard.

So from now on I want to make sure that I still obey the traffic sign of yielding to oncoming traffic -- you know, since I am a 'goody two-shoes' at heart -- but I no longer want to be that driver who unnecessarily comes to a complete stop.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

You have such a gift with words and self expression I love following your blog- you touch on some great subjects in such an interesting way

TammyIsBlessed said...

Definitely good thoughts here once again.

Kris said...

Wow! Now that is a good analogy. I do know that I have become a "whimpy" driver since I've had kids. My aggresiveness is gone - what a shame. Drives my hubby nuts. Like you said better to be safe than sorry.
But with your analogy to that in life, you are so RIGHT! We don't need to yield, we need to stay aggressive in our views and what we believe in - otherwise we will be run over!

Jenn said...

I love your analogies and the conclusions you come to about your own life. You have a great way with words and can really put things in perspective.

Louise said...

Great perspective ;)
I hear ya sometimes I make stops and wait all-together too long!!

Erin said...

That second to last paragraph is me to a "T"!

Roo said...

great post andrea!

Kathy and Carl said...

Good thoughts Andrea. I think of that person at the four way stop, waving everyone else to go, just waving and waving and never driving. For pity's sake, just go! Okay, that's the driver in me. But in life, what kind of life is that? Always waving everyone else on...waving and waving and waving and never actually driving, never actually living.

Mamarazzi said...

you remind me a lot of my sister Amy. she is the same way, a pleaser and she feels soooo bad when she has to say no to someone (which she rarely does) When i turned 30 i learned to say "no"...or "yes but only" i am fine taking on part of a project instead of all of it, i feel satisfied in having participated...i didn't blow anyone off but i did what i could do without stressing myself out. it took sooooo much practice, but i love the balance it has created in my life!

i DO want to apologize for not getting over here as much as i would like. i could bask in your awesomeness ALL DAY LONG...especially with truly inspired posts like this one.

you rock and i adore you!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

As my husband always says (OK, yells...) It says yield, not give up! I think that applies to the life analogy as well...

Xandra

Jamie said...

That was another great analogy. I'm very much the same way; good thoughts!