Wednesday, July 22, 2009

when you give to God, He gives back to you

Last Saturday I was doing one of my most dreaded chores -- "the books". You know...balancing the chequebook, updating the budget and seeing where we are at. My goal is to do this once a week so I always stay on top of what we've spent and what we've spent it on. But it seems to more often happen only once every couple of months. Oops!

Sometimes at the end of this monstrous project I am pleasantly surprised at where we are sitting financially. And other times -- like this time -- I am left a little stressed. One of the areas we are over-spending on these days is on gas for our vehicles. Les has been doing a lot of driving for work lately and it's all racking up pretty quickly. Way too quickly.

The next day in church, I knew it was time for our monthly tithing. Oh, how I wished that I didn't have to part with that much-needed money. I find tithing to be the most difficult monthly payment...afterall, if I don't, there aren't any real consequences right? It's not like if I don't pay my hydro bill or my phone bill and as a result I get those services cut off. God's not going to cut Himself off from me if I don't tithe for a month.

But I didn't argue with myself too long before I wrote out the cheque and didn't give it another thought. Until yesterday.

When I talked to Les on his way home from work, he told me that his boss had filled up his tank with gas. Just like that. I then told Les about my inner struggle about tithing on Sunday, how glad I was that I did it (he was in the sound booth during the service which is why he wasn't involved in my little inne-battle) and the amazing 'coincidence' of a free $100 tank of gas only 2 days later.

No, God may not cut Himself off from us if we miss a month of tithing...but He will reveal Himself to us when we give even through the hard times.

11 comments:

andrea said...

so true! talk about going on faith! what a gracious hug from Gog in an unexpected way! i love this story!

ValleyGirl said...

I struggle a lot with that one, too. It's the easiest "bill" to just skip. You know, "just this month." Sadly, that usually becomes a habit then right away, too.

Good post, Andrea. Thanks for the gentle reminder/kick in the butt.

Jamie said...

I struggle with the same thing and have found what you've found too, that God always blesses that giving.

Pam said...

Great post Andrea!

beautyinallthings said...

I have had a similar thing happen when I have obeyed. God is good!

Kelly said...

I love moments like that!

Joanna said...

Oh that is good! I struggle with this a lot.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Amen and amen!

Way to go on making the right, but tough, decision!

Sheila said...

God is so good!!

jackie said...

what a great story, andrea! it really is hard to give sometimes... but so worth the blessings, eh? we're now doing direct payment for tithing - i really like it because i'm no longer tempted to just skip a month!

Roo said...

AMEN my friend.
the hardest times of my life i have known God the clearest.
xo