Friday, September 11, 2009

going where no woman has gone before...

Well, okay -- maybe s-o-m-e women have gone here before, but not Joelle's dear ol' Mom. I'm talking about going to Grade 1.

Yup, you read that right. I was never a Grade 1 student. Well, I suppose for 2 months I was a 1/2 time Grade 1 student. See, when I was in kindergarten, I was reading at a Grade 5 level -- and it was decided that I would go straight to Grade 2 after completing Kindergarten. But in order to get me a bit more adjusted, for the last 2 months of school when I was finished my morning kindergarten class, I went to a Grade 1 class for the afternoons.

But I really have no memories of those 2 months, although I have a lot of memories of Kindergarten. So while we were getting Joelle ready to head off to Grade 1 -- well, it was all a little too new for me! My little girl is doing something that I have never done!!

I have been very proud of my almost six-year-old this week as she has taken on this new adventure with gusto! She has never expressed a nervousness about this big step (although she was very shy at meet-the-teacher, but that's only because Les and I were in the room with her...she's much better when we're not hovering around) and has been ready for this for most of the summer already.

She definitely needs to adjust to the new schedule though, as when she comes home from spending all day at school, she is completely exhausted. Like, I mean w-i-p-e-d. In fact, yesterday -- her second day -- she came off the bus telling me that she could hardly keep her eyes open on the ride home (and it's only about a 2 minute bus ride!). I can see the exhaustion in her eyes the second I greet her at the end of the day, and that exhaustion doesn't go away all evening. I'm sure hoping she will adjust sooner rather than later, as evenings have proved to be quite a challenging time for me with a cranky, over-tired little girl.

But at least she is loving school (just like her mama always did!), and she really likes her teacher. She has a few of her best friends from pre-school and kindergarten in her class and she is already playing with 'big kids' at recess...grade 3'ers!!! I love how social she is and that she seems to make friends very easily. My hope for her is that she will always be well-liked, but that she will also make sure she reaches out to those who may have a harder time making friends.

I'm excited to see all of the things she will learn in Grade 1...and I will live vicariously through her. :)

8 comments:

Melanie said...

The exhaustion will wear off- when I was teaching I know I was always exhausted for the first few weeks. I think it takes the kids about a month to really adjust. She's going to do just fine!!

beautyinallthings said...

My first grader is also exhausted and CRANKY!!! I can't believe the whines coming out of that mouth! And he is starving. He is eating like a horse. We put him to be at seven and he sleeps to seven. I hope the adjustment period won't be too long!

common mom said...

Oh first grade - yay for Joelle - what a fun time! Princess is adjusting wonderfully - but is soooo tired at the end of the day, even though she's been in all day preschool and Kindergarten for years. It only multiplies as the week goes on. Your little Joelle will adjust just about in time for fall break ;-)

Look forward to reading about her first grade experiences!

PamJ said...

So glad she is having a great time!!

sandrasiemens said...

She is sooooo cute! I don't really even know her, but it almost brought tears to my eyes, seeing her all excited, with that big pack on her back!

Jamie said...

Amazing that you read at a Gr 5 level in Kindergarten! Smarty pants!

I have fears about Landon making friends. I don't think he'll have a problem doing it, just praying the friends he makes are good kids and that he's kind to everyone. I've always kind of controlled who his friends are because they're the kids of our friends. Now he's on his own. It's a hard thing for a mom to let go!

Kathy and Carl said...

That's great to hear that she is thriving at school. Grade 1, all day, whoo! what a change and a challenge. But she's totally up and away with it!

Sheila said...

I remember grade one so well, it was alot of fun!! I hope she builds some great memories there as well!

And reading at a grade 5 level that young??? Holy Moly!!