Tuesday, September 8, 2009

thriving at 30

So who says you're old when you turn 30? I, for one, have never felt younger! I have surprised myself -- and Les -- a few times over the past couple of weeks by doing things I didn't think I had it in me to do.

The first thing was last weekend when we took the girls to a local kiddie amusement park. Now, I am not a rides person. I can do bumper cars and that's about it. And occassionally I take a ride on a ferris wheel. But I sure don't like it!

The last couple of years when we took the girls there, I conquered the ferris wheel with a bit of convincing. But I did it. But this year? Well...they had been working on a newer -- and BIGGER -- ferris wheel for a couple of years, and after seeing how high it was going to be, I vowed that I was never going to go on that one. The one I was currently going on was high enough, never mind one even higher.

So this summer when we saw that the old one was no longer being used, but the new one was in working order...well, I didn't for one minute actually think I was going to go on it. Nope. No way. Not me. Les isn't a huge fan of heights either, but he sucked it up and went on it with the girls and said it actually wasn't bad.

Ha! I wasn't falling for that.

But then Joelle gave me those gorgeous puppy-dog eyes, begging me to take her for a second spin on the big wheel. And I just couldn't say no to her. So up, up, UP I went. And, it turns out it was actually quite a thrill. No, I didn't particularly enjoy being stuck at the very top for any length of time -- but I survived.

(Notice the old white ferris wheel sitting directly in front of us on the new one? See how much shorter it is?)

Anyway, Les and Malia were on the seat directly behind us, so Les managed to snap a few pictures of me way up high, giving the thumbs-up sign to let him know I was hanging in there. Yikes!! As scary as it was, and as much convincing as it took...I'm actually glad that I let myself experience it.



The second thing I did that surprised myself happened just this weekend at our annual church's family camp. There was a zip-line...need I say more?

At first I thought "Yeah, I could do that." But that was before seeing how high and long it was. As soon as I saw that, I closed my mind again to the possibility. Nope. Not happening. Not on your life.

But...after much convincing, and my oldest daughter saying "Come on, Mom. Be brave like I was on the tube today" (see picture below)...how could I say no?!?!

So, with many people cheering me on -- and me thinking I had absolutely lost my mind -- I found myself being harnessed up and climbing up to the starting platform. I was so scared that I was actually very near tears. It took all I had to hold myself from breaking down in front of everybody who was watching me and cheering me on.

I'll even show you a video of my brave accomplishment (but forgive the side-ways view), cause I'm cool like that! Oh...and it felt a lot faster than how it looks!!

video

And how did I feel after I completed that crazy stunt? Other than feeling like I could barely walk on my wobbly legs, I felt pretty darned victorious!!


Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

6 comments:

andrea said...

sweet work Andrea! never stop...can you imagine what you would have missed! yes...30 looks great on you! way to go!

ValleyGirl said...

Look at you, all "conquering hero" and whatnot!! Way to go!

Sheila said...

That looks like so much fun!! Glad you conquered your fears!

jackie said...

awesome andrea!!!! that looked like a pretty long zip ride. i would LOVE to do that! next you'll be getting on a plane!!!

Colleen said...

Way to go Andrea!!! Everyone needs some adventure in their lives. .. hats off to you for taking the leap! The older I get the more determined I am to JUST DO IT. . whether it's jumping in the lake everytime we go swimming (even if I have good hair that day) to trying a new sandwich at Subway. . .mix it up!

TammyIsBlessed said...

You go girl!

I LOVE ziplining!!!

But ferris wheels, not so much. I did not go on said ferris wheel during our last trip there. Rollercoasters I can do though - I'm weird that way.