Friday, October 9, 2009

a little bribery goes a long way

Earlier this week, I was in the mood to re-arrange our living room furniture. After presenting the idea to Les and asking him for his help -- he said he'd do it if I would make him a carrot cake with thick cream cheese icing. He literally bugged me about this all. evening. long. (and drove me quite crazy, I might add).

I refused to bake it for him. Not that I don't like doing things for my sweetie. But after having 2 birthday cakes in the house within the last 10 days...well, I really didn't think it was in my best interest to have yet another cake (with the BEST icing in the world) to tempt me any further. So I put my foot down and said if he wanted carrot cake, he'd have to make it himself because I was not going to put myself in such a position of temptation.

Of course this was all done in teasing, even though I knew how badly he really did want that carrot cake. But the next day, I re-arranged the furniture on my own, thus preventing the need to bake the cake. :) He came home from work that night, and even though he was pleased with how the change looked, he was disappointed that he missed out on the bribe of the cake.

However, today, I regained some of the power. Thanks to the communications on Facebook, one of my neighbours knew how badly my hubby wanted carrot cake, yet how badly I did not want an entire cake of temptation sitting in my kitchen. She just so happened to be making such a cake for a family function this weekend, and offered to bring a piece by for my hubby. Yes, that's just the wonderful kind of neighborhood I live in.

Anyway...so I came up with something that would work in my favour. See, Les has refused to watch the movie "Twilight" with me. Mostly it's pride, I think. I'm sure once he watches it, he'd actually like it (although I doubt he'd ever admit it to me)...but it's getting him to watch it that has proved to be imposible.

Until today.

I wrote up a little 'contract' stating that if he watches Twilight with me tonight, he would get the nice big piece of carrot cake with cream cheese icing. But only if he signed it.

(click on the picture to enlarge it)
And he did.

I had to sweeten the pot a little bit though (I wrote it as PG as I could since we have a reading 6-year-old who thought this whole thing was rather funny), but it's a done deal.

The cake has been eaten and the movie is about to begin.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Yep, I think that bribe would ALWAYS work!

Melanie said...

I LOVE it!! Especially about the part for getting a little (lot) something extra ;)

Krista Nicole said...

hmmm... we also have signed (and dated) contracts in our house but those are for cleaning.

Erin said...

o carrot cake...i love carrot cake. next time you need to make him one, send me a piece!! (please) i will even watch twilight with you. :)

TammyIsBlessed said...

Good for you on standing firm about the cake!!!

He ended up with a pretty sweet deal - what guy's going say no to that?! :)

Kathy and Carl said...

HA HA HA !!! Talk about hilarious. Seriously, I learned some very valuable things here today.

Kelly said...

That's too funny! Way to go!

Roo said...

ohhhh carrot cake. now i am craving it....and its 9pm....tomorrow...thats going on my list.