Thursday, October 29, 2009

they're always watching you

Every once in awhile I get a reminder of just how strong an impact the actions of a parent have on their child.

Last week Malia and I did some painting at the kitchen table. Interesting how she ended up trying to make her pictures as close to mine as possible -- my artistic skills aren't very fine-tuned, so mine are the top pictures in case you couldn't tell. :)

It's not that I was surprised at the fact that she wanted to copy me. It's just a really good gentle reminder that the eyes of the child are always on the parents. And especially with me having girls, I will be their #1 role model.

And that is a job that I need to take very seriously.

7 comments:

andrea said...

like mother, like daughter! it is an honour to be looked up to yet also a tad scary! great reminder! i think i need to spend more time praying on my knees for mine...as well as being more intentional in my parenting!

ValleyGirl said...

Kinda scary and awesome all at the same time!!

Nice pictures ~ both of you!

Melanie said...

That's a good reminder. Sometimes I am happy when I see Hailey copying me and other times it scares me!

Kathy and Carl said...

It's a daunting and amazing task. So glad that you were reminded that she was watching you because of a picture. I was reminded when one of my kids, from the back carseat started screaming at the backed up traffic, "C'mon drive!" Gulp.... a humbling and sobering reminder!

Kelly said...

so true. Thanks for the reminder.

Dawn said...

So true!

We haven't connected for a long time - thanks for coming over. If I draw your name, I'll definitely send it to you. I didn't know you were from Canada, I guess!

Jamie said...

Good reminder! I was reminded of that the other day when I was really upset and said that something was stupid. I know it's not a really bad word, just a word I've decided I don't want my kids to say. Low and behold, the next day my two oldest started calling things 'stupid' a number of times! we do have to be so careful!