Friday, January 22, 2010

i think i deserve it

Let me introduce you to someone something. This is the dryer we have owned for the entirety of our 8.25 years of marriage. It was a hand-me-down from an aunt & uncle -- along with its partner: "the washer" -- and both of them have suited us just fine...for the most part.


However, it has had its issues over the past several years. For starters (pardon the pun), when we moved into our current home 4 years ago, the start button broke off during the move. So for the past 4 years, I have had to use a screwdriver to start my dryer. No big deal, I could easily handle that.


Next...about 4-5 months ago, the dryer's handle broke off. So anytime I want to open the dryer door, I have to re-insert the handle and hold it just-so in order to get it open. Again, no biggie. The dryer itself works perfectly fine.


However...the latest issues (you know how things happen in three's) was much harder to ignore. You see, one night before bed, Les put a load of his work clothes into the dryer. Well, when he went to the basement in the morning to retrieve them...he discovered that the dryer had been running all. night. long. Yup, that's right -- our dryer ran for a solid 7 hours. I shudder when I think of what could've happened while we were sleeping soundly upstairs...

So with this faulty timer, we decided enough was enough. It was hard to always remember to set my microwave timer when I came upstairs from putting in a new load. And even if I did remember -- if I wasn't in the kitchen area when the timer beeped...well, let's just say that our dryer worked over-time on more than one occasion!

So on Wednesday we brought home the newest addition to our family! Ain't she pretty?!


And look -- it has a shiny new button for me to push instead of using an old screwdriver!


And -- oooh...ahhh...a door handle that is firmly intact at all times! Oh, the joy!

But both of these things are really just bonuses, since the only thing I really care about is having a dryer with a properly working timer! I'm a simple girl, really. Now I just have to wait patiently for Les to get it hooked up. I'm so excited about this new purchase that I'm almost looking forward to doing my weekend laundry tomorrow.

Almost.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

That IS exciting! Glad the old one didn't blow up the house or anything. Hope it didn't damage your electric bill much - eek! Yay for having something pleasant to look forward to come laundry time. =]

andrea said...

you are hilarious! enjoy your new addition!

Kelly said...

That's fun! I can't wait to get one of those refrigerators with the water in the door!

Jamie said...

My parents have had a dryer with a broken timer for pretty much as long as I can remember. I guess they're just used to remembering now, but it sure has run longer than necessary many times! Glad you could get a new one! Even things like household appliances can be fun purchases!

Roo said...

joy!!!!!! what a beaut!

Sheila said...

Wow, that is scarey to think "what coulda happened?!" I'm glad all was well, and have fun using your new dryer!!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Yay for your new dryer!!!

Jody said...

Does it come with an auto-fold option? I would pay extra for that! :)

Stand Mixer said...

Hope you will enjoy using it. No more broken handles and buttons to mess with... a nice change certainly!

Andrea said...

AHH!! So it's not just me!! The timer doesn't work on ours either!! One time we even drove out to the cabin... all the way there I had this feeling I had forgotten something. Called the neighbours when we got out there , sure enough he said there was hot air comin from the vent... luckily my parents were heading home from the cabin- LOL!! My handle is broken too- i have a screw in the slot to pull it open... savin up for the front loader set! Hopefully soon!!