Today is my birthday! It's hard to believe that it has already been a year since I reached that universally-dreaded milestone of turning 30 years old. Funny how it never seemed to bother me once in this entire past year. In fact, I feel better than ever...even now, that I am officially 31.
You know how a lot of people in the blogosphere (or at least in my blogging circle) have these "101 in 1001" lists -- where they come up with 101 things they want to accomplish in the next 1001 days? I have always been interested in doing that, but find it way too overwhelming to even come up with 101 things, never mind to actually do them. But looking back over this past year being 30, I realized that I accomplished many-a-thing on my own, without having a large list to work off of. For me, smaller doses is better.
So, I thought that every year on my birthday I would post a small list of goals that I hope to accomplish before my next birthday (I promise it has nothing to do with new year's resolutions; it just so happens that my birthday falls 2 weeks into the new year). No specific number of things either; just whatever I feel like.
Before I post this year's goals, I wanted to give you a list of the things I managed to accomplish during my year being 30. When I wasn't even working on an official list.
1. I tried several new things.
The first thing I tried was technically before I turned 30 as it happened on New Year's Eve. But I thought I'd post it anyway. I tried Cola Jell-o from Egypt! Yes, I know -- it's not really very wild. And it's a flavour that I genuinely love to begin with (well, Pepsi is anyway -- Coke, I could do without). But the fact that I tried something that came from a far away country...trust me, it was a big thing for me!
The next new thing that I tried was jogging. I did the Couch to 5K program throughout the summer and I successfully completed the 9 week program! I never in a million years would've thought that I would turn into a runner -- but I did, and it's been such an incredible experience for me! I highly recommend it (you can read more about my experience with this on my weight loss blog).
And then I can't forget the end of summer where not only did I go on the new super high ferris wheel at our local kid's amusement park...but a few weeks later, I also went zip-lining at our church's family camp.
2. I had a successful flower garden this summer. I have been known to have a not-so-green thumb, but I took it upon myself this year to really take care of my flowers, and it was a huge success.
3. One of the biggest things that I was able to do this year was go off of my anti-depressant medication. This proved to be the most difficult and darkest summer of my entire life, as I went through the original withdrawal and the attempt at a new drug. After that new drug failed me, I went through that withdrawal again (you can read all about that on my 3rd blog), I tried going drug-free. So far it has proved to be a success.
4. The other big thing that happened to me in my 30th year was that I shed 45 pounds. (Exactly 45 pounds as of this morning!) I started up a Biggest Loser competition back in June that ran for 2 rounds. Again, check out my weight loss blog for more details on that.
So there you have it. Things that I accomplished while I was celebrating life at 30 years of age. Now as for my 31st year of life...
1. I want to lose another 20 pounds -- which will hopefully bring me down to a size 7 or so. I have already gone from busting out of a size 16 down to a 10/11, so I know that it's possible.
2. I want to run a 5K race in June and a 10K race in September, both here in my small town. I have quit running now in winter, so once spring makes its long-waited appearance, I need to get back out there immediately to start training!
3. I want to read through the entire Bible. I started this already on January 1st, as I am doing it together with a group of women and I am really excited about this new venture.
4. I want to gain (and keep!) control of my house. So often, I fall behind on laundry and house chores. You may not think that it's really a big deal -- but to me it is. I am constantly stressed out in my own home and I want to change that. I want my home to be a place of refuge for me. I want to be able to walk through my door and feel relaxed and at peace; not all full of stress and anxiety. I want someone to be able to drop in unexpectedly and not be embarrassed at the state of my home. I would love to go through every drawer, cupboard and closet in my house before I turn 32 and de-clutter and organize my home from top to bottom.
5. I want to teach myself how to play guitar. I have one sitting in my living room (borrowed from my sister) but it's just been tucked behind my couch for many, many months. I've always wanted to learn this instrument, so this is the year that I dust it off and make it a new talent of mine! In fact, I would even like to go so far as to play it in church before my next birthday.
So there you have it. I want to look back on my 32nd birthday and see how I have improved and bettered myself.