Thursday, February 25, 2010

as long as she knows

My Mama heart has been pretty heavy lately when it comes to my Little Miss Malia. The 'terrible twos' came and went and were immediately replaced with the 'thundering threes' (why didn't anybody warn me about *that* age?). Now those have been replaced by the 'frightening fours' and I am at my wit's end.

This last week has been particularly hard and I often just feel at a loss as to how to handle this precious, but feisty, young child of mine. This morning was probably the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I literally was ready to just run away. I felt like giving up.

I may not have run away...but I sure did cry.

After we both had a chance to do some much-needed cooling off, we came together to talk about the awful start to our day. We were both still teary-eyed, but we were ready to hug and cuddle and say the necessary "I'm Sorry's" to each other.

As I held my daughter close and whispered words of love to this sweet little person, I said: "Mommy loves you SO much."

"I know you do," was her quiet and emotional response.

And my heavy heart lifted just a little bit. Yes, we have our issues to work out and yes, she is a very stubborn, strong-willed little girl. But she knows that no matter what, her Mommy loves her. And as long as she knows that...we can get through anything.

8 comments:

andrea said...

yikes! some days are super difficult. Parenting is NOT easy. happy that you were able have cuddles and hugs. Knowing that they feel safe and loved is so important for their growing up years!

ValleyGirl said...

It's amazing how reassuring it is to know that THEY know we love them. I like to think you're just getting this all over with now while she's young ~ once she's a teenager, you guys will have nothing left to struggle with!! ;)

Kelly said...

I think that is going to be my path with Jillian. But, it's so great that even though things get tough, you come back together with those words of love. That is the most important part.

Kathy and Carl said...

It's huge that you can say sorry. Do you know how many parents never say that to their kids? It shows such vunerability and strength on your part. Someone told me that with such a feisty child, all the things that drive you nuts (or to tears or to cake) will one day be things that you cherish. Hang in there!

Jody said...

What a beautiful post. It's hard work being a good parent. You have to care enough about their futures to fight for it today. Good job.

Roo said...

awww bless your mama heart. have you heard the jason upton song "it aint easy?" ihave been listening to it non stop for the past few weeks....cuz it aint easy! xo

love this photo...

Leeann said...

Avery just turned 5 and I can tell you...there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. She still makes me insane...but a little less so every day. :)

Jen said...

I think your daughter and mine might be soul mates. Being a mama is HARD work!
I love the cuddle after arguments though. We have a book that we have read to my daughter (now six) for a few years now. It is called I Love You All the Time. When we have butted heads or have needed that cool off time, we end it with me saying something like...even when Mama is upset with you...and she replies...you love me all the time.
Great story!