Wednesday, February 10, 2010

a little taste of summer

I don't know about the rest of you -- but I am sure ready for spring & summer and all that goes along with it (well, a-l-m-o-s-t all that goes along with it...I can do without the crazy thunderstorms, the icky bugs, and the constant requests from the hubby & kids to go camping with them...).

But even while I patiently impatiently wait for the changing of seasons, I did get a small glimpse of summer with a new recipe. I tried it for the first time last month at a neighborhood ladies' get-together and I loved it so much that I made it this past weekend for a party I went to.

It was s-o-o-o-o-o good that I just had to share it with all of you so that you can delight in it too (should you choose to make it, that is...which I highly recommend you do!):

Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Tortilla Chips:


Fruit Salsa:

2 kiwis
2 apples
8 ounces raspberries
1 lb strawberries
2tbsp white sugar*
1 tbsp brown sugar*
3 tbsp jam, any flavor (I used raspberry)

Chop all fruit into very small pieces. Mix everything together, chill for half an hour.

Cinnamon Tortilla Chips:

Cut flour tortillas (about 6-8 of them) into wedges. Place on baking sheet and spray with butter flavored cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (3 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon). Bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes.

*Next time I might try making it without the added sugar. I think it may be sweet enough with the sugars from the fruit and the jam.

9 comments:

Sheila said...

Mmmm that looks so yummy!!

Margo said...

Oooooh, that looks so good ~ AND reasonably healthy :)

ValleyGirl said...

Mmmmmmm, yummy! And definitely summery!

Jenn said...

I'm longing for summer too!
I've made fruit salsa before but just used fruit - no sugar, no jam, and it turned out good too. Mandarin oranges are good in it too.

Kathy and Carl said...

Thanks for sharing the amazing recipe. I'm going to try it soon....we're entering into fall and fruit is slowly disappearing (it must be going north to you guys!)

TammyIsBlessed said...

Hmm, sounds good. Maybe you'll have to bring some of that for Mom & Dad's birthday :)

Do you have to use fresh fruit?

Mrs.Oz said...

Nicole,
I'm calling for a prayerful blog fast:
http://whatsupwithusnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-challenge-you-blogging-woman-blog.html

for all who want to join in.

andrea said...

doesn't that ever look good!yummy good! i'll definitely have to make that!

Colleen said...

Ohhhhh. . I soooo needed a little dash of summer goodness today:)

Looks fantastic!