Friday, April 9, 2010

"it's friday," i thought..."i'll spoil myself."

That's what I told myself this morning when my alarm went off at 7:15am.

Let me go back a few steps before I continue with this particular story. I am not a morning person. Never have been, never will be. But I am making progress. As far back as I can remember though, I would sleep till the last possible moment...and then some. Even if it meant rushing around to head out the door in time for work or school or what-have-you. I even used to have my showers before bed in the evening so that I could claim those extra minutes of sleep in the mornings (however, now I know that having a shower in the morning helps me wake up, so I have been doing that now for years).

Looking back to my last few years as a single woman, living at home with my parents, I always feel bad for my Mom. Her and I were often up at the same time in the morning, each getting ready for our day at work. She learned very quickly that speaking to me unnecessarily in the mornings wasn't going to get her any positive reaction. My poor Mom barely even got a "good morning" or a "good-bye" in our morning time together. She was lucky if she got a grunt -- even that was pushing it! If there was something she had to convey to me in that 7 o'clock morning hour -- especially something that needed a verbal response from me -- she probably dreaded facing the consequences of being the one to force me to speak.

(Mom -- this is my official apology for those months/years. You must've thought I was a patheticly immature grouch!! I am so sorry!)

Anyway, after becoming a Mom, I realized that I had to start letting go of my grudge against the mornings if I wanted to survive the days. So gradually I have improved my attitude -- even if it's still a struggle to drag myself out of bed. I can now speak to people immediately upon getting out of bed -- and even offer a genuine smile!

Anyway, normally I have been getting out of bed around 7:45am to get Joelle up and ready for school (with the exception of my work-day on Mondays, when I get up at 6:30am). I wait until she's left for the bus at 8:30 before having my shower and getting ready for the day. Lately I've been thinking how nice it would be to get up a bit earlier so that my shower and everything was done before having to get Joelle up. That way when she leaves for school, I'm ready for whatever my day throws at me right then and there!

So this week I have been doing just that. And guess what? I loved it! Sure, every morning when the alarm would go off -- a mere 20 minutes earlier than normal -- I would debate about hitting that snooze button one or two...or three times. But each morning I resisted the urge, and I dragged myself out of bed. That's the hardest part. Once I am up and in the shower, I feel great. And starting my day on my terms is truly a blessing. And the thing is -- I'm just as tired waking up at 7:45am as I am waking up at 7:20am. So why not just get up and get ready?

Well, this morning when my alarm went off at 7:15am (I set it a few extra minutes early because I wanted to have time to even make my bed and put on my make-up this time), the urge to hit snooze came upon me yet again.

"It's Friday," I thought..."I'll spoil myself." But instead of hitting snooze once or twice -- I full out changed my alarm clock to wake me up again at 7:45am. Another entire half of an hour of sweet blissful sleep.

Of course it felt more like half of a second of sweet blissful sleep...and when the alarm re-woke me, sure enough, I felt just as tired as I did when I woke up half an hour earlier. Only now I didn't have the me-time to start off my day. Instead, Joelle walked into my room before my eyes had even opened and was making a request of me already. To which I said no. To which she whined and cried.

Great...so much for spoiling myself. This is not the way I wanted to start off my Friday. Talk about a back-fire!

So I learned my lesson. Next week I am determined to go back to getting up before the kids -- even on my precious Friday. And I might even follow FlyLady's tip that I just read about today: Putting my alarm clock across the room so that in order to turn it off, my feet have to hit the floor, making it that much easier to just get up and start the day!

So now whether it is Tuesday or Friday or anything in between -- I will choose to spoil myself by not hitting the snooze button or sleeping till the last possible minute.

5 comments:

andrea said...

way to go ...it does feel so great to wake up ready for the day!...and i remember those 'grunts'...never understood why you wouldn't talk much less come to the gym before work...:)

Kathy and Carl said...

It is good to start on your own terms.

Good for you and here's wishing some very pleasant starts to your day.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Love it that you decided to change the morning attitude. Isn't it crazy what we can justify to ourselves by thinking "that's just the way I am"? It's just a cop out. Way to go!!

And getting up early - yeah, that's really something I need to start doing. Course going to bed earlier than 12:30 would probably help too. I may have to try it...

Sheila said...

You just descirbed me to a TEE!!! That's exactly how I am, and you may have just given me push into trying it your way!

Colleen said...

I love this whole concept!! way to go. . I'm going to get on your bandwagon and try and join you in this effort!!!