Friday, April 16, 2010

the shrinking generations

You know how when you were in junior high and you looked at the Grade 12 students and thought that they were so grown up? Seriously, they looked old and mature. Then when it was finally your turn to graduate from high school, you didn't think that your graduating class looked quite as old as the previous ones. And then as the years went by and you looked on (from afar) and saw other kids approaching that Grade 12 graduation stage, they appeared to look younger and younger each year. Before you knew it, it looked like the graduating students were actually junior high kids!

(No? Was that just me? Seriously, that's what it seemed like!)

Well, I'm having those same kinds of feelings now when it comes to my Little Miss Malia getting ready to start Kindergarten in the fall. Not that she doesn't seem ready to start school -- both socially and intellectually -- but she just seems so little. Too little.

Both of my girls were born at the exact same time of year (well, 10 short days apart) so when Malia starts school, she will be only 10 days younger than her big sister was when she started her public education journey. So why then does it seem like Joelle was so much older??

Maybe it's because Malia is my baby. Or maybe it's because she's not speaking quite as clearly as Joelle was at this stage (saying things like "wif" instead of "with" for one example). But the thing is, it's not just Malia that I think isn't quite 'big' enough for school. When I think back to Joelle's classmates, it seemed 'right' that they were at the stage they were in. But now when I think about the kids that Malia is in pre-school with, who will join her in Kindergarten...I don't know, they all just seem younger.

Once again it seems like the kids are shrinking as the years go by.

Here are pictures of my girls at the exact same stage -- when they were exactly 4 1/2 years old. When I look at these pictures, though, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the way of how they look, maturity-wise....


I wonder in 5 years from now, if the kids starting Kindergarten will look like they just barely started walking and eating solid foods! :)

7 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I think exactly the same thing. Very weird. I always thought it would be the other way around because the younger sibling would be forced, in a sense, to learn some things ~ both academic and social ~ along with her older sister, but that doesn't seem to have happened the way I thought it would! I'm positive Peanut was more advanced at this age, although I think Fidget is learning to read earlier. (that will be a result of a change in school policy though, I think)

PamJ said...

that'll be huds, the one who had just started walking, then he is off to school! oh my.

i agree though, it seems to me that those lil ones who graduate just look younger and younger, and now lil miss mee-ya going to school already! she will love it i am sure :) and her mamma will have a few tears as her baby gets on the bus...

Kathy and Carl said...

Gosh, I feel old when kids I babysat are graduating from university. Ack! I wish I could scrunch up the kids and keep them small forever, but that's impossible. And as Joel inches closer to me in height, it's quite amazing that "just a few weeks ago" he was barely able to climb the stairs in his diapers. How does that work?

Time flies when we're having a wonderful time. I guess it's a bittersweet blessing.

Roo said...

ohhhhhhh i hear ya. except my girls seems to be TOO grown up. well, she tries to be. but then i hear her voice on the phone and she sounds soooo little. and i want to press the pause button.... where is it?

common mom said...

I was just having the same thoughts . . . my daughter will be 8 this winter! 8! The same age my son was when he started Little League. She wants to start playing softball next year - but oh my there is no way she can be old enough for fast-pitch softball, can she? Pulling at my heartstrings...

Joanna said...

I'm right there with ya. Your girls are certainly looking like each other too.

Kelly said...

I totally get what you're saying. The other day I saw a kid driving who seriously looked like he was barely out of a car seat. (OK exaggerating a little but still)

Lyndsy starts kindergarten this year too and I can't believe it!