Tuesday, June 1, 2010

like it or not

A 61-year-old mother & grandmother gets diagnosed with an aggressive form of uterine cancer and the family braces themselves for her surgery, recovery and chemotherapy. Turns out, after surgery, things weren't as advanced as originally anticipated and she is cleared and cancer-free. God is good.

A mother is hoping for her dream job, but it seems impossible. Que the lined-up ducks and voila! -- the job is hers. Everything worked out the way she hoped. God is good.

A couple wants a baby with all of their hearts but are told they may never be able to conceive. They get pregnant, have a healthy child and do it all over again. God is good.

A wife cheats on her husband. He finds out. The road is steep and rocky, but they work through it and remain married and continue to raise their family. Together. God is good.

*************************************************************************************

A young child -- only a year old -- is diagnosed with a brain tumor. Hundreds of people pray for a miracle but she dies anyway, shortly after her 2nd birthday. God is good.

A husband has a great job opportunity cross his path and he pursues it, thinking of how it will benefit his family. But he doesn't get the job. God is good.

A couple wants a baby with all of their hearts. They try for years to get pregnant and never do. They try to adopt but the process keeps getting held up. They have empty arms that are longing to be filled. God is good.

A wife cheats on her husband. She decides to leave him and their 3 children. God is good.


Why is it so much harder to say "God is good" at the end of the last 4 scenarios (hence the smaller font)? When things go the 'right' way -- our way -- it is easy to give all the glory to God and to say that yes, He is good. But what about when things don't go the way we want? When we pray and the answer doesn't suit us. When life hands out awful situations seemingly at random; some resolving themselves positively, others negatively.

It's not natural for us to look at a negative outcome and praise God for it. At least it isn't natural for me to do that. But the fact of the matter is, God is good no matter what. Our rotten circumstances don't change that. God isn't good because of the way things turn out for us; He is good inspite of the way things turn out for us.

I'm no theologian; no trained pastor. And I certainly don't claim to have all of the answers. And without a doubt, I do not find myself well enough equipped to debate the whole "Why does God allow these things to happen if He could just put a stop to it" question (although I do own a book on this topic that I'd like to actually dust off and read one of these years). But I do know with 100% certainty that God is good. And I want to be able to say it -- with conviction -- no matter what circumstance gets thrown my way, or in the way of others that I know and love.

Whether I like it or not.

**By the way...all of the above scenarios are real -- and I know all of these people first-hand. I know them and their situations to different degrees, and have therefore grieved and celebrated to different degrees. But they are all true stories.**

7 comments:

Amanda said...

We don't always understand why things happen, but I agree God Is Good!

LaughingLady said...

Faith vs. feelings: the Christian's epic battle. It's a process, that's for sure. I'm closer now to being able to say it regardless of the circumstances, but lining up the feelings with the words will take some more time ~ probably the rest of my life!!

Jamie said...

So true! I was thinking of writing a similar post a while back. God commands us to give thanks in all circumstances. Way easier said than done! But if that's what God commands, I want to strive to do so! We can't see from Earth what He's all lining up to work out for good.

Kathy and Carl said...

Wow. It's like we can't see God's hand at work unless we can benefit. A little bit of a lesson for me, I think....

Because no matter how things end up for me, God is good.

Kelly said...

Makes me think of the Garth Brooks song Unanswered Prayers. All so very true!

Pamela said...

lol! As I was reading this I came to the part about the mom getting her dream job and thought, "huh...just like me..." ha! ha!

I love the song about how "God gives and takes away, but my heart will choose to say blessed be the name of the LORD" but it is always easier to say when God gives and not as easy when He takes away.

TammyIsBlessed said...

So true. And ditto what everybody else said too! :)