Tuesday, June 8, 2010

lucky number thirteen

A few weeks ago while I was driving the girls into The City for swimming lessons, I was half-listening to their chatter in the backseat. On the agenda that particular day was counting.

Suddenly, Joelle excitedly exclaims "Mom! Malia said Thirteen!"

"Yeah...." I replied, a bit confused. "She can count a lot higher than thirteen."

"I know," Joelle insisted. "But she said Thirteen all. by. herself."

Still not getting what her point was, I tried to explain to her again that Malia can easily count up to 30 already, so 13 isn't really that big of a deal.

Joelle was starting to get impatient with me now as I wasn't grasping what she was trying to get at. I was obviously robbing her of some of her initial excitement.

We eventually did end up on the same page, where I figured out that what she was trying to explain to me was not that Malia knew what number came after 12 -- but that she said THirteen instead of Firteen. On the first try. All. By. Herself.

No wonder Big Sister was excited for the Little Miss. I joined the excitement then and watched Malia's eyes glow with pride (in the rear-view mirror...while driving completely safe down the highway).

2 comments:

pam d said...

That's awesome! I still remember the day you guys were over for a lunch/play date and Malia asked for popcorn "flavorings" and I had no clue what she was saying!

Margo said...

I love that Joelle was so excited for her sister!! And...I LOVE this picture of Malia!!!