Thursday, August 26, 2010

i can't help FALLing in love...

Those of you who have known me for a long time know that fall was always my most favorite season of the year. Everything about it suited me perfectly fine -- the beautiful colors of the trees, the relief from scorching hot weather, and falling back into routine. It often bothered me that a lot of people detested fall -- not for the season itself, but rather for what followed: Winter.

Three years ago, I did a short post on exactly that; on how people tend to not get the most out of the fall season just because they are dreading what comes next. I always sort of felt sorry for the poor season (you know -- as if it actually had feelings!) and how people often looked at it with such pessimism all because of the cold season around the corner. Hellooo -- hold Winter accountable for that, not Fall!!

However, last year for the very first time -- I felt that way too. And I had officially decided that fall was no longer my favorite time of the year. Spring moved up from 2nd place to take over the title of my new favorite season. Where everything is new and fresh again. The season that represents hope and new beginnings.

Sure, I felt bad for abandoning Fall. For doing exactly what had always bothered me about other people. But something just changed in me. Not only was I actually enjoying summer to the fullest (for the first time), but I was really dreading fall...and what came next. Hypocritical, I know. But I blame it on my emotions and my history of depression -- that always seems to kick into higher gear in fall and especially winter.

I was expecting to feel the same way again this year. I have enjoyed the hot summer months even more than last year (Les would sometimes even seek shade before me this year), surprising more than a few people with my still recent change of heart. And last week when we had a few suddenly cool and cloudy days -- looking, feeling and smelling a lot like fall -- even I thought it was too soon for the changes. I found myself wishing and hoping that I hadn't just had the last of the warm summer days to bask in. That this was only a very short reprieve and that all would be back as it should be in no time.

And it was. Warm -- even hot! -- weather returned.

However...I then suddenly surprised myself with yet another change of heart. Who am I kidding? Fall is in my blood; it's a part of who I am. To me there is absolutely nothing sweeter than the look, feel and smell of the fall season. There's just something so...delicious about it all. And I can not wait until fall days are more than just a temporary here-and-there thing, but instead are a full-time reality.

What can I say? I just can't help falling in love...



3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I find I feel that way about every season. Well, except winter, that is! There's something I really look forward to in each season ~ but I think fall is, in some ways, still the season I enjoy most. Especially early fall when the days are still warm enough for shorts, but there's no humidity, the colours are so vibrant, the skies such a deep blue, and the nights are cool and calm....

Yeah, despite being part Mexican and LOVING the heat of summer, I think some fall is in my blood, too!

Kathy and Carl said...

I love Fall for the harvest and the colours. We don't have changing colours here and that's another part that I really miss.

Kelly said...

Fall is absolutely, positively my favorite season with winter and spring tied for second. I only like summer for the fun things you can do but it's still last in my book. I hate being hot!